Find
Notify
Tools

Caldwell Rock BR front bench rest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted
Does anyone have experience with the Caldwell Rock BR front rest ?

As background I am not a competitive shooter . I do shoot 4 or 5 hunting rifles quite a bit with factory ammo for practice .

Am currently using the Cladwell Lead Sled but do not like the fact that I can not really get my shoulder on the stock.

Also can not really get a good line of sight with my recticle using the lead sled.

Thought this rest may be an upgrade from the lead sled to check accuracy of my hunting rifles and for practice.

Welcome your input or suggestions. Prefer not to drop huge bucks since competion is not a factor.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a good one if you change the bagtop.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some times a Hart or similar rest slips through the auction sites at a decent price.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have one and have been happy with it for load workups with hunting rifles. I would want something better for serious accuracy work.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's a very good starter rig, but for a few more dollars you can get a better one from Sinclair. It will last for ever so spending just a bit more on the front end would be a good investment if you can swing it.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good bench rests are like magic.

For some strange reason after buying one your rifles are all more accurate, your ammo is more accurate, good loads are easier to find and you become a better shooter.
It only takes a few years of component savings to pay for one.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I retired my BR Rock after finding a Eagle rest.
I'm still not 100% sure about the eagle.
The BR Rock is not a bad system though.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
It is a good one if you change the bagtop.

I agree.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whose is that Evan - or is ir some custom machine shop work. Smiler

Mine is an older Caldwell Rock but I have been thinking about a Sinclair top for it.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Oops, forgot to include that. It's a Greenlaw windage top, and the Protektor bag has a special slick fabric sewn on. Works great.

http://www.drgreenlawmachining.com/windage_top

There's better rests out there but for $145 its a good value. The homemade rest feet have worked pretty well too. I have about $300 in my front rest.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote