THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    Need suggestions for fixed power scope for load development

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need suggestions for fixed power scope for load development
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Looking suggestions for a scope to use strictly for load development. Shooting ladders and groups from 300-600 yds. Requirements....

-Good value
-crystal clear optics
-fixed power
-AO
-target reticle such as fine X-hair, etc
-$300 to $600 range.

Thanks,

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Alan I am not sure whether this fits your specs or not, but I have a Super Sniper 20X scope on my Rem 700 HB. Of course I use it for everything, not just load development! The crosshair is not fine however.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might want to check out the Weaver T series of target scopes. Good value and can be had with fine 1/8th moa dot in 24X. Come with screw in lens caps, extra set of drums/knobs and the Micro Trac adj. feature is positive and accurate. Current models are I believe 1/8th moa adjustment/clicks. Older ones were 1/4moa, but either will work fine for your purposes.
Should be well within your budget level as well.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MFD beat me to it. The Weaver T36 scopes have fine crosshairs (or fine dot), and are 1/8 moa adjustable. I am not sure what rifle you are planning on putting the scope on, BUT, you may find the T36 to have insufficient eye relief.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own and use several Weaver t-36 scopes regularly. I am very happy with them when used in conjunction with Gene Davis' scope booster lenses at the 100 to 200 yard range. I would not be happy with the results of using these--or as far as I can tell--any other scopes in the price range mentioned at ranges over 300 yards. If I were going to be shooting regularly at 600 to 1000 yards these days I think I would have to either save my pennies or go into debt--depending upon the priorities and realities of my situation --and buy a March variable power scope from Kelby in order to shoot TRUE with no variation in POA/POI from 300 to 600 yards as mentioned in the Q and still be able to have some chance of watching the groups develop through the scope. I have both the 1/8 dot and the fine crosshair reticles and I would never ever choose a dot for 600 yards. The dot obscures the X on a score target at 200 yards using a T-36-- I can't imagine being able to see it at 600 or 1000 yards. Also, as mentioned--the eye relief is pretty close-- I would not want to let off a 300 WM or even a 6 BRX using that scope-- I find it hard to believe that anyone touting a T-36 for this application has actually used one for it. The T-36 is a fine short range scope and especially good for rimfire BR which is why you find great prices at Kilough--but as a long range scope it is not found in the equipment lists of the top shooters in long range BR or F-class matches--not in the lists that I have seen over the years.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with scrounging up a Leupold used 24X or 36X benchrest scope?
There are a lot of them around.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the range u described MFD is on the money
with a weaver T series a T 10 or T 16 is all u should need and very few scopes made are as precise as these scopes are. There is a few on gunbroker now!

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
Looking suggestions for a scope to use strictly for load development. Shooting ladders and groups from 300-600 yds. Requirements....

-Good value
-crystal clear optics
-fixed power
-AO
-target reticle such as fine X-hair, etc
-$300 to $600 range.

Thanks,

Alan

What I generally use is the same scope I plan to leave on the rifle. BUT, if you want a scope just for seeing well at medium range (300-600 yards) on paper I know the Weaver 36X BR scope with 1/8th minute dot reticule will work well. I have used them for years on benchrest rifles in competition, and actually sold all my Leupold BR scopes and replaced them with Weavers.

The Weavers are absolutely not any better optically than Leupolds, perhaps not quite as good. But they are plenty good enough optically and they have had more reliable adjustment mechanisms in my experinces with them. I currently have them on more than half a dozen rifles.

Plus they are about half the price of Leupolds, which leaves more money for other gun toys, er, necessities.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used T36's for several target rifles but I have never used one for load developement except when it was mounted to stay on a target rifle.
For my general hunting rifle work, I have an old steel tubed T12 that has been on everything from a 8mm Rem mag down to a .222. It has enough power that you can see and shoot at the bullet holes at 100 yards and don't have to worry about any mirage if you're shooting beyond that.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue I have with the Weavers is the lack of a warranty or a resonable repair facility.
The Leupold just goes back to the factory -usually for repair at no cost. However I have never had to send a Leupold back.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe all Cooper rifles are tested with 36 power Leupolds. As was suggested, check out ebay for a good deal on one.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold my Hornet, but the buyer did not want to pay the extra $$$ for the Leupold 12X AO scope I had on it.

$250 shipped and insured, if anyone is interested.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote