New
Find
Notify
Tools

tubb,s final finish bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
does anyone have experience with tubb's final finish bullets? i have a new unfired barrel. years ago i tried neco's fire lapping and wasn't too happy with it. this is a factory savage button rifled 6.5x284 bbl.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage rifles have a fine reputation for shooting really well. I would shoot the rifle before I fire-lapped or messed with the barrel. You'll probably find that you don't need to do anything but shoot and have fun.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Eddie. I wouldn't want those bullets in my rifle.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

These pictures are of my Ruger Stainless Model 77 in .30-06 I purchased new. Scope is a Leupold VX-II 3-9X 40MM in Ruger rings. The first group is about the best it would do. That is a 4" orange bull at 100 yards. I tried every handloading trick in the book with this gun, and finally was at Cabela's and saw the Tubb Final Finish Ammo and thought what the hell. I cleaned the barrel per the instructions to remove any and all copper fouling. I then fired the 10 coarse abrasive loads. Then cleaned again per instructions. I then fired the remaining 10 fine grade cartridges. Cleaned one final time, then shot the second group you see boxed in after a few of the outside shots for the gun to settle in. That is an 8 shot group shot at 100 yards with a 1" orange bull. I started with a cold barrel, and ended with a warm one. It wasn't too hot to touch, however. The improvement was substancial. I could see the difference looking through the bore after I got home and cleaned it. The cleaning rod went through with a tight patch much more smoothly. I've found most who knock this product have not used it. If you have tried everything, and can't get the gun to shoot, I would recommend this product. It performs as advertised. If I were to use it again, I would buy the bullets and handload them myself, now that I know how well they in fact work in cleaning up a rough barrel. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
billt,
If my barrel was that bad I would have sent it back to Ruger. I am glad it worked for you.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
billt,
If my barrel was that bad I would have sent it back to Ruger. Butch

The problem with that is I would have gotten more of the same. Ruger rifle barrels are like the surface of the Moon. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billt, did you happen to notice if they increased the length of your throat

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it did it wasn't noticable. I still reached the lands without moving my bullet seating die out any further after the Tubb treatment. Bill T.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill T. thank you for the information. i appreciate your taking the time to reply.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The most important thing if you do decide to use these bullets, is to clean all of the copper fouling out of the barrel before you begin. If you don't you will just be polishing copper, and not your barrel. I used Bore Tech Eliminator.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=225250&t=11082005

It works very well, doesn't stink, and has no Ammonia. It will not etch a barrel regardless of how long you leave it in. The patches will come out green immediately, and will continue until the barrel is spotless. Usually no more than 5 minutes is required for the most copper fouled barrel. I've found this product to be far superior than anything else I've tried for copper removal. Bill T.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never used the Final Finish bullets in one of my good barrels but have experimented with them in rifles I intended to cannibalize. Sometimes they improve and sometimes they don't but the throats never lengthen appreciably the way they do with abrasive fillers like Puff-Lon. I have even considered using the TMS bullets in a match barrel to see if they do any good.

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
I have used them on four rifles with excellent results. I use the Final Finish bullets as opposed to the loaded ammo.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I've used the DIY Wheeler kit from Midway to firelap many bores for different reasons, with varying results BUT I wouldn't use it on a new barrel until attempts at break-in, load work, etc prove fruitless.

If it's a stinker barrel, you have nothing to lose! Like Bill's Ruger, my Rem 7600 pumpgun was a 4 MOA, copper fouling POS. It's now smooth, shiny and a 1 minute rifle!

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote