New
Find
Notify
Tools

Target quality AR15?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking of buying or building an AR 15 with scope that will shoot accurately out to, say 600 yards. I have a DPMS in 308 which is VERY accurate. Any suggestions from folks who have bought an off the shelf or built one?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock River. Sub MOA out of the box.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
White Oak Armament for the upper. Extremely popular with the High Power crowd that shoot 200 to 600 yard matches and some at 1000 yards. I own two from John. no matter you choice of brand make certain you have a 1-8 or 1-7 barrel to stabilize the longer bullets.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.c...wer-competition.html

Any decent lower with quality parts and a good trigger like Geissele will do fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point Mike. The standard off the shelf seems to be 1/9 which might be enough for the 69 gr. but probably not for the 77. I will check them out Barrels?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Shilen with the ratchet rifling seems to be the "in" thing right now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Shilen barrel is the ticket. Big winner at Perry last year. White Oak is a great place to do business with, both quality and honesty.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
The White Oak upper have barrels with fairly heavy profiles. His clientele like weight in general. Not knowing your intended use it is worth noting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Mike, I noticed that the uppers came with barrels of various configurations.
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I had been thinking about an AR in the new "wunder calibers" but I want to shoot often and cheaply, so the 22 caliber bullet is probably the way I will go. I have access to 200 and 300 yard ranges so that is about as far as I will shoot regularly. There is an 850 yard range that is a possibility but it is quite far and I will use the 308 for that.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have experience with the Ruger SR556 Varmint? CDNN has them on sale for $899 or so. I understand that they have been discontinued and were quite expensive when they first came out. My main concern is accuracy, of course, but the price is right.
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the Varmint model, but do have the SR556 16" Ruger w/ 1/9 twist and it is quite accurate for what it is, less than a minute of angle at 100yds. w/ 55-62gr bullets.
The Varmint model has a much better trigger than the carbine but don't know what the twist rate is on it, should be 8 for overall performance with bullets up to and including 80gr SMK's. 600yds. not a problem with that combination.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It has a 1:8 twist. I will look into it more closely.
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drm-hp:
White Oak or Compass Lake Engineering should be able to get you anything you will need. As for cartridges you have many good choices, 5.56 with either a Wylde or CLE chamber, 6mm Turbo, 6.5mm Grendle.
Shooting out to 600 yards is fun, and frustrating, on so many levels.

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I built up two ARs, one each using White Oak and Shilen barrels. Both shot well under MOA for 10 shots, the Shilen was more forgiving of loads.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Holliger and Son (White Oak Armament) will be here this morning. We are going to our family property south of Rule, Texas for a hog hunt. I think young Ben is going to shoot his AR in 25DTI I think it happens to be. I'm really looking forward to the next 4 days.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
John Holliger and Son (White Oak Armament) will be here this morning. We are going to our family property south of Rule, Texas for a hog hunt. I think young Ben is going to shoot his AR in 25DTI I think it happens to be. I'm really looking forward to the next 4 days.

White Oak is a good place to do business with; some years back I had placed an order with them for various AR parts during the great (political induced) shortage, some were out of stock. If memory serves, John called me to let me know the situation and find out if I wanted to cancel or backorder. Good customer service, more and more a rarity these days.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They got here an hour ago. Ben was tickled to death that his recorded deer call worked. My wife wants that app for her phone now. They are on the way to Shilen for a Sunday visit and then back here. Very nice people.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The upper that John built for me was fluted both in front of the hand guard and under it. I think it reduces the weight a little.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Still looking for a new toy, but now thinking about a Ruger AR 556 MPR.
Peter.

posted Hide Post
I realize this is a fairly old post, but was wondering what level of accuracy you had in mind? Reason I ask, I just put together a "target" AR using a PSA upper that's getting me sub-MOA with the ammo it likes, IMI 77 gr Razorcore. The upper has an 18" nitrided barrel with .223 Wylde chamber, rifle length gas, 15" M-Lok rail, and A2 FH. Most of the rest is mil-spec except the trigger, that's a 3# Velocity drop-in. Total cost came out right at $750. Might be something to look into. Later.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Rock River NMA2 or flat top. The National Match rifles are 1 in 7, Wylde chamber. The 77 SMK is super sonic to somewhere in the 800 yard neighborhood. I don't have a White Oak upper or rifle but wouldn't doubt John's product either.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Still looking for a new toy, but now thinking about a Ruger AR 556 MPR.
Peter.

Really??? I thought you were looking for something accurate?

Cool

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure why you are asking. The reviews I have seen all say it is an accurate rifle. Sub MOA. Do you know otherwise? The price seems reasonable.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More like MOA plus some based on range reports... but whatever...

With some tweeks and decent ammo most likely can be made to shoot straighter like most ARs today. But I do not believe anyone would refer to it as a precision platform out of the box.