New
Find
Notify
Tools

PPC SHOOTER 101 HELP NEEDED !!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at purchasing two barrels for an Encore in both 22PPC an 6PPC for varmint shooting. I have noticed that most benchrest barrels run about 20.5” in length plus or minus 1”. Would I gain anything buy going with a 24” – 26” tube in regards to velocity or perhaps accuracy loss. Also, I don’t mind turning necks…Is this step necessary or should I just get a no turn neck.

I have loaded and fire formed brass for several Ackley cartridge version, and have never seen the doughnut effect I have been reading about. Is this inherent to the PPC family? When purchasing 220 Russian Brass, is it as simple as fire forming for the 22PPC and Necking up the 220 brass to 6mm and then fire forming.

Thanks
L22H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With an Encore the extra advantage of neck turning would not help. A donut will only bother you if you seat your bullets into or beyond it.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
love22hunt- You will need to neck up the 220 Russian brass and then full length size them. Then I fireform them with a load of 4895 up to the shoulder and seat the bullets so they are jammed into the lands so the case is resting hard against the bolt face or in your case the breech. Good luck.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote