New
Find
Notify
Tools

End Of An Era - Good-by 747
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What an amazing run. Of the 1,505 that were built, 625 are still in service.

salute

quote:

Boeing to pull the plug on its 747 jumbo jet: Bloomberg News

FILE PHOTO: The Boeing logo is pictured at the Latin American Business Aviation Conference & Exhibition fair (LABACE) at Congonhas Airport in Sao Paulo, Brazil August 14, 2018. REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker

(Reuters) - Boeing Co (BA.N) is pulling the plug on its 747 jumbo jet, Bloomberg News reported on Thursday.

The 747 democratized global air travel in the 1970s but fell behind modern twin-engine passenger jets.

The last 747-8 will roll out of a Seattle area factory in about two years, according to the Bloomberg report. (bloom.bg/38n5A8p)

When contacted by Reuters, Boeing did not confirm the Bloomberg report.

“At a build rate of 0.5 airplanes per month, the 747-8 program has more than two years of production ahead of it in order to fulfill our current customer commitments,” a Boeing spokesman told Reuters.

“We will continue to make the right decisions to keep the production line healthy and meet customer needs.”

Boeing’s 747 plane is enjoying a second life as a cargo mule for companies like United Parcel Service Inc (UPS.N) due to a freight market boom fueled by online shopping.

In 2016, Boeing said it could end 747 production amid falling orders and pricing pressure.

Major U.S. carriers like United Continental Holdings Inc (UAL.O) and Delta Air Lines Inc (DAL.N) have already said goodbye to the 747.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of memories flying the 747. My first ride on one was with SAS in 1971. My dad spent the last of his career in the left seat of the 747, retiring in 1989.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first ride on a 747 was in 1973. Then in the early 1990's I flew SAA's 747 service between Miami or JFK to JNB for many years thereafter.

I will miss the B-747.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My first international trip was on a 747 - Dulles to Frankfurt. My most recent was also, Amsterdam to Nairobi.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I always loved the lounge on the upper deck.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What an amazing run. Of the 1,505 that were built, 625 are still in service.

I suspect, as freighters that originally drove the concept, they'll be with us for a long time to come.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

I always loved the lounge on the upper deck.

I suspected as much... Wink

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Loved to see them in the air and on the tarmac, but never got to fly in one. Living in the Sea-Tac area as a kid, Boeing is still golden for me in spite of the MAX nightmare.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Loved to see them in the air and on the tarmac, but never got to fly in one. Living in the Sea-Tac area as a kid, Boeing is still golden for me in spite of the MAX nightmare.

Yup. My dad worked on B-52s....if it ain’t Boeing...I ain’t going... ;-).

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
"End of and Era" and yet the last one is expected to roll off of the production line in 2 years.
Something tells me they will be burning jet fuel for good bit of time into the future!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
April, 4 1970 American Airlines flew their first 747 to Greater Southwest International Airport to show it off to the public. Man, what a plane, it sure made an impression on me as to it's size.

Damn, that was 50 years ago.......................

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
I got hit by one doing this once...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjCHXNHE6QE

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote