New
Find
Notify
Tools

B-52 Simply Amazing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There are sons and daughters flying the planes their fathers flew, and in the future it will be grandchildren flying the planes their grandfathers flew. Will there be great grandchildren flying them?

https://www.popularmechanics.c...9BHoE4HAn8gyJKWIbWRI

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
I heard it said that when the last B-1 and B-2's are flown to the scrap yard, their crews will be ferried home on a B-52

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My dad worked on B-52s at Seymour Johnson in NC. He can still remember most of the tail numbers and plenty of stories about them. We had a radar from one at the house for a long time as a toy. Don’t ask me how he was able to take it home - it was a different era I guess... we used to shine a flash light into the glass and then turn it off and the screen would glow that well-known green color.

Long live the BUFFs!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Interesting Article. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
The idea to put new far more efficient engines on the B-52 has been proposed many times. Maybe Pratt & Whitney finally said no to further support of the old ones. I'm not sure about the statement that the B-52 can fly farther than a B-2, it just ain't true.

One thing never reported is the cost of maintenance and how many are available for a mission at any one time. Looking inside a B-52's structure isn't necessarily a comforting sight.

There will always be the need for a big truck to dump ordnance on some bodies head in a low threat environment especially in today's battlefield and it does prove the original design is solid and with good maintenance it can still do that kind of job.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote