THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Dean Potter Yosemite Climbing Legend Dies In Wingsuit Jump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dean Potter Yosemite Climbing Legend Dies In Wingsuit Jump
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sad news. But if you twist the tail too hard and too long the odds catch up with you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-evasive-action.html

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hardly Aviation I would think, more like Darwin doing his thing. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Some will not like my comment,

BUT

If it was an illegal jump I hope they charge for recovery costs.

AND

Yet the worst part is that this will just spur others to do it just to prove that they could do it "better".

I really don't care what folks do except when others have to pay for their mistakes.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Some will not like my comment,

BUT

If it was an illegal jump I hope they charge for recovery costs.

AND

Yet the worst part is that this will just spur others to do it just to prove that they could do it "better".

I really don't care what folks do except when others have to pay for their mistakes.

Comment I heard was that it was illegal, but he was so well known, Rangers never bothered him. Confused

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Grizzly A

If they had let him jump in spite of the rules in the past then you can bet there are a bunch of closed door meetings where CYA plans are being formulated post haste after the incident happened.

Hate to see anyone die, but then a lot of fun things do have some degree or another of danger.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've watched several of his past videos and wondered why in the hell hasn't he killed himself yet. I somehow knew this was going to happen. I just hate he took a photographer with him.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go-Pros being the size they are, would be much harder to find than a blackbox... Big Grin

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Potter came from the era when the park had little regulation and not controlled by the Gestapo park rangers. Just like most every other aspect of American life today, we are regulated into a box.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Yeah, everyone should be allowed to do whatever they want in the parks, including making big costly messes of themselves on remote outcrops for taxpayer funded rangers, police, and rescue workers to clean up just like these two idiots did.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The recovery efforts are actually voluntary. . A littering fine could be issued. Yes I would prefer 35 years ago administration than today

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Yeah, everyone should be allowed to do whatever they want in the parks, including making big costly messes of themselves
on remote outcrops for taxpayer funded rangers, police, and rescue workers to clean up just like these two idiots did.

There are people who like to get within just a few yds of elephant,
and wingsuiters who like to get within a few yds of some hard rock.

One things for sure, the earth comes 'charging' toward you every single time when you pilot something.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

The recovery efforts are actually voluntary...

Close friends of killed wingsuiters might try and recover the body before authorities do,
But park services still have a required duty to do so, once informed.... and they are on paid time to do it, yes?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i am retracting this post -- it appears i was grumpy

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote