Anyone with $3,375,000?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A nice weekend pastime...

Link

Link

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2528 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Damn. That's a nice plane.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buying it is only part of the expense, flying and maintaining is the bitch.

But the F4U has always been one of my favorite of the war birds.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only posted for interest sake, the F4U-5 has always been my favorite. And this is the best I've seen.
There was some doctor that had his own private MiG-15 a few miles away at the old Norton field. They are expensive, all planes are expensive.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Nice F 4! I used to serve with a guy that flew them in WWII. ALL stateside.

Growing up in the south valley of ABQ we were treated to a low fly over of a P-38 every so often.
It was said the pilot/owner was from Socorro.
Not sure what airport he was flying to, but unlikely at that altitude in the bottom of the valley that ABQ was on his agenda, aybe Cutter or 7 Bar.
Distinct sound that one could hear coming LONG before he arrived.

I can only imagine what flights of WWII fighters must have sounded like!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to research what BUNO was at what squadron? Would be cool to paint it like VX-4 or VX-5 (I was in VX-9 as civil servant, about 5 years ago).

During my time in 3 different squadrons I had 4 different aircraft go down (blackcloud, I know).

VAQ-130, VAQ-135 (two) and VPU-1 Special Projects.

About two months before I checked in to HSL-40, and about 8 months before I checked in to VX-9 they had lost birds.

The cost of parts and maintenance would be prohibitive for anyone not worth several hundred million dollars.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Nice F 4! I used to serve with a guy that flew them in WWII. ALL stateside.

Growing up in the south valley of ABQ we were treated to a low fly over of a P-38 every so often.
It was said the pilot/owner was from Socorro.
Not sure what airport he was flying to, but unlikely at that altitude in the bottom of the valley that ABQ was on his agenda, aybe Cutter or 7 Bar.
Distinct sound that one could hear coming LONG before he arrived.

I can only imagine what flights of WWII fighters must have sounded like!

The McGregor ranch south of Wichita Falls used to have a fly over once of year of WWII planes. they passed right over our house and made a bombing run on the ranch. Had dynamite planted and would set it off. Got some good pictures somewhere of all types of planes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
with the ability to fold the wings just think of the money you'll save on hanger space....

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
While we're looking. . . .

Spitfire

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
While we're looking. . . .

Spitfire

Top stuff.

See it has a Packard Merlin.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would look good in my hangar... I need a go fund me account now...

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2802 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote