THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Famed DRACO Crashed at Reno Monday 9/26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Famed DRACO Crashed at Reno Monday 9/26
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I had a special invitation to Reno Air Races by COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE VIP CHALET for the final day of the races- Sunday. With that invitation, my wife and I saddled up and drove down for the last two days of the show.
I had the opportunity to finally see DRACO ad meet Mike Pately and his charming wife also an accomplished pilot.... what a BEAST of a back country airplane....IMPRESSIVE!!

We had a fantastic time with CAF, and also was hosted up to Pylon 3 for the final Jet heat and the GOLD heat....heavy winds and blowing dust that day too....what a Heart THROB!!

Sadly on departure on Monday...a big storm front was coming in from the South West and Mike pushed to head home......

Here is his follow up YouTube which includes a video of the takeoff and roll over....fortunately Mike, his wife and friend in the back were NOT injured...but DRACO "totaled"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAoDXvs

470EDDY

Posts: 2527 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crap. Draco was a very special one of a kind aircraft. Saw several videos on it.

Glad everyone is ok.

Thanks for posting this.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a shame, but willing to bet dollars to doughnuts Mike Patey steps up work on Scrappey to amaze us with his next creation! An extremely talented & driven individual with a passion for what he does that makes him a standout in that community!

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A good man for our times.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I do believe that "Gethomeitis" or "Getthereitis" are the most dangerous things that pilots face.

Watched all the videos of the build and modifications and do not think I will be able to watch one of the planes destruction.

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
YUP, TC...right on, and he admits it in his follow up YouTube!! He had trouble taxiing in the wind, and should have aborted or taxied to the other runway which wind was more favorable, on the nose...but still gusting over 35kts!!
We were also leaving Reno and headed up 395 at the time of the accident...the wind and rain storms we were encountering were really unusual and fierce..and we were driving!!
I am wondering if he will engage in the painful task of a full restoration?? Time will tell??
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2527 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
I do believe that "Gethomeitis" or "Getthereitis" are the most dangerous things that pilots face.

Or as we used to say in the Squadron:
"All dick, balls, and no forehead..."

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:

Watched all the videos of the build and modifications and do not think I will be able to watch one of the planes destruction.

Yup. I worked at Godfrey field for a while and a guy came in out of the blue and asked if one of our trainers could fly him IFR to his destination, the weather had turned during the day and he was VFR only. Our folks said, “no way” for various reasons and recommended the guy stay over until the weather cleared. The last thing he said was, “I’ve got LORAN, I’ll be fine.” And headed out. About 3 hours later we got word he augured in, nose first about 1/2 mile from his destination airport.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The Good Lord must’ve been looking down on him to have been walking around after that crash.

As an aside, would the engine be salvageable?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sad news, and totally avoidable

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38348 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, he states so in the after-video!!
We were driving out of Reno at same time and were having a "difficult time" in heavy gusty winds and heavy rain showers...

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, there is word from Mike Patey that DRACO will live again....there is a YouTube out there in the last few days where Mike announces..."it's not so bad as I thought..."
Cheers,

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been oogling a Cessna 206 Conversion with a PT-6... I asked the guru who does the conversions about prop strikes with a turboprop... he says the main damage is done to the gearbox and must be totally rebuilt. On the PT-6 also if the exhaust stack is bent badly it can contact one of the turbine wheels...then you are facing much more turbine damage...lets hope not for Mike's sake!!
Let DRACO Live Again!!

470EDDY