THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Cool Story on P-51 from the other day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool Story on P-51 from the other day
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a neat story! Getting Bob Hoover on the radio to help out with an active gear problem in flight, that's the stuff of legends.

REALLY cool!

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
very cool. that's great they were able to get in touch with Hoover who knows so much about the Mustang. Question for the pilots: in this case would you then retract the gear an belly land or do you try to go in on the one main gear? Seems like the P-51 would be an plane that would be tough to belly land vs. something like a P-47.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I would rather grind some of the belly off, than take a wing out.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt that it is safer to belly land than take the risk of leaving one down and digging in a wing and cartwheeling. On a P-51 the radiator scoop will collapse on a belly landing making for a pretty smooth slide.

Not to mention that repairing the belly skin is much cheaper than trying to repair/replace a bent wing which is guaranteed with one roller down and one up.

Check it out her is some footage of a mustang making a belly landing. Not as dramatic as you'd think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dJCxn7y3_c

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockrat:
Think I would rather grind some of the belly off, than take a wing out.

Gonna bend the prop, either way. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one of them there givens. If the primary spark arresters won't come down and lock. A prop blade or two or three or four is gonna get bent. Wink