The Accurate Reloading Forums
The 737 Max Cleared For Return To Service

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/558107455/m/8311068262

18 November 2020, 21:49
Opus1
The 737 Max Cleared For Return To Service
Finally and just in time for a pandemic.

quote:

FAA clears Boeing 737 Max to fly again after 20-month grounding spurred by deadly crashes

PUBLISHED WED, NOV 18 20207:39 AM ESTUPDATED 9 MIN AGO

Leslie Josephs

The planes have been grounded since March 2019 after two crashes killed 346 people.
The crashes sparked harsh criticism of Boeing from lawmakers and safety experts over the planes’ design and the company’s internal culture.
Lawmakers are advancing bills to strengthen FAA oversight of new aircraft.
FAA chief says conditions that occurred in two fatal Boeing 737 Max are now ‘impossible’

The Federal Aviation Administration on Wednesday cleared the Boeing’s 737 Max to fly passengers again after a nearly two-year ban, a turning point in a protracted crisis for the aircraft giant stemming from two crashes of its top-selling plane that killed 346 people.

FAA Administrator Steve Dickson after ungrounding the plane said a repeat of the conditions in both crashes is now “impossible” thanks to design and training changes.

The fallout from the crashes has engulfed Boeing for more than two years, drawing criticism about design flaws’ roles in the crashes and on how the Chicago-based company marketed the plane, touting its simple training procedures, which would save airlines money.

The crashes and the grounding also raised scrutiny on the FAA, long the world’s gold standard of aviation, and raising questions about whether it ceded too much power in the certification process to Boeing before it approved the planes in 2017.

“We will never forget the lives lost in the two tragic accidents that led to the decision to suspend operations,” Boeing’s CEO David Calhoun said in a statement. “These events and the lessons we have learned as a result have reshaped our company and further focused our attention on our core values of safety, quality and integrity.”

The end of the 20-month flight ban also gives Boeing the chance to start handing over the roughly 450 Max jetliners it has produced but has been unable to deliver to customers after regulators ordered airlines to stop flying them in March 2019. Boeing shares were little changed in afternoon trading after on the FAA’s decision, which was expected.

Boeing has a backlog of more than 3,000 other Boeing 737 Max planes, when stripping out orders that the manufacturer believes could be cancelled. That tally has declined as the lengthy grounding coupled with the coronavirus pandemic prompted customers to call off hundreds of orders.

Regulators grounded the Max in March 2019 after the second of two nearly new 737 Max planes crashed within five months of one another. The crashes prompted a lengthy safety review that was met with numerous delays, driving up losses and costs for Boeing.

For months after the crashes, Boeing and the FAA faced criticism from lawmakers and some air safety experts about the plane’s design and certification. Tensions over the grounding between Boeing and the FAA cost the former CEO his job. U.S. lawmakers are now advancing legislation that would strengthen the FAA’s oversight of new aircraft after it was criticized for being too lax on the new aircraft.

Investigations into the crashes and the Max’s development focused on an automated flight control system that was meant to prevent the aircraft from stalling. Pilots on both flights that crashed — Lion Air Flight 610 on Oct. 29, 2018, and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 on March 10, 2019 — struggled against the system after it was activated because of faulty sensor data.

Pilots weren’t informed about the system, and mentions of it had been removed from pilot manuals when they were delivered to airlines. A House investigation in September found regulatory, design and management problems as the jets were being developed led to the “preventable death” of everyone on board.

Boeing has made the system less aggressive and added more redundancies, among other changes over the past two years.

Airlines still have to train pilots and remove aircraft from storage, if they had 737 Maxes in their fleets at the time of the grounding.

American Airlines is set to be the first U.S. airline to return the aircraft to commercial service at the end of December. The carrier on Wednesday said it plans to expand Max flights throughout January from its Miami hub.

United Airlines and Southwest Airlines executives have said they expect the planes to return to their schedules at some point next year.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.
20 November 2020, 01:18
Grizzly Adams1
I'll bet people here remember the DC 10 ? A couple of crashes and it never recovered.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell
22 November 2020, 08:13
Porosonik
Thank Gwad I retired and won't have to worry about wrenching on them... or the possible aftermath of wrenching on them.

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?
11 December 2020, 08:33
470EDDY
I wonder if Boeing will regret building this jet in years to come??

470EDDY
10 January 2021, 05:40
boom stick
These jets may need to become parcel carriers. too many deaths.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
11 January 2021, 01:14
Bobster
I think they already regret it. But they keep thinking they can engineer their way out of it.
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I wonder if Boeing will regret building this jet in years to come??

21 January 2021, 18:18
Grizzly Adams1
Well, Canada approved it and the first one flew today. Wonder who took the ride. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

13 March 2021, 08:49
Grizzly Adams1
Economics related, but I'm sure they won't be the only ones and not good for Boeing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada...nes-orders-1.5945412

Grizz

James R. Doolitle