THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    The BLUES Back to Their Roots!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BLUES Back to Their Roots!!
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Here is a fantastic story about the origins of the Blue Angles...and a modern recreation with a BEARCAT team...with one of our own Tommy FRIEDKIN rooting them on....I did not know Tommy was a BLUE... but I knew he had a fantastic War Bird Air Force of his own of some fame along with the Chino Gang...and his African Air Force of Caravans for his Tanzania Game Trackers hunting operations....sadly he is no longer with us...and his family has decided to close down the hunting operations to only Family and clients...

https://www.chonday.com/5113/blueroots3/

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2550 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it wrong....Tom Friedkin apparently was NOT a Blue, but probably one of the owners of the BEARCATS that THE HORSEMEN fly...lead by Steve Hinton of Chino Planes of Fame Museum, and one flown by son Dan Friedkin... Tom great fan and supporter of The Blues and War Bird aviation!!
Tom actually started his career as an airline pilot started by his father...that became PSA and later sold...when he transitioned to Gulf States Toyota Distributors...his son Dan now leads. Both are/were very active warbird pilots...and collectors.
Run a search on WIKIPEDIA...a good read...

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2550 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! Love the Bearcat and the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp engine. Nothing else sounds as good as the 2800. Would love to see these guys perform.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
MEEEE TOOOO!!

I go to alot BIG of airshows, have never seen them, and never seen them billed as performers. Seems they started flying 3 Mustangs, now they also fly Bearcats, Corsair, and F-86s!! Check them out on WIKIPEDIA, pretty interesting!!

All of the pilots are Heritage Flight qualified with the military formation flights.

A friend, retired Air Force pilot told me the name came from an old team of C-130s that out performed them all...so were disbanded to showcase the Blues. That is not mentioned in the WIKI coverage??

I am going to call Chino Planes of Fame and try to catch Steve Hinton to see if he can send me a show schedule?? I will post here if I get it.

I saw the SoCal Commemorative Air Force bomber- fighter show a couple times at Reno last year, B-25 and Hellcat, BEARCAT, Corsair, and Mustang.... what a heart throb!! Lots of round engined all at once!!

I can also remember the years that RARE BEAR, and pilot John Penny, a highly modified BEARCAT, totally dominate Reno air races for years!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brings back a lot of memories.

Went to quite a few shows of the Confederate Air Force (now a more politically correct "Commemorative" Air Force).

While I love jets, the piston war birds are a special breed. Glad I got to witness them.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote