THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    The Aircraft of AR: Past & Present
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Aircraft of AR: Past & Present
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted
Thought it would be fun to share and see what the membership flies and flew. Presently we run a Wilga 2000 floatplane, 300hp Lycoming 540. Very user friendly and easy machine to work, rapid takeoffs. In the day job fly various helicopters outside the outfitting season in northern Canada.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Great idea for a thread. Unfortunately, mine are mostly commercial...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guys, please post what you fly/have flown, commercial, military or civilian. Thanks Angus!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some day job pics, none of which I own I’m just the meat based stability and navigation system.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK it doesn't use any avgas, nor has lots of metal and wood. But I can carry it on my back and on the right day it can take you a long way. I fly one of these:

https://vimeo.com/205567758

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Don't have photos, at least not handy but have flown:

Civilian:
C-150
C-172
C-182
C-310
PA-28-R200
Pitts S-1C, S-2A, S-2B
Citabria
Various other small planes

Military:
T-34C
T-2B
TA-4J
F/A-18 A/B/C/D
C-9 (DC-9)

Commercial:
B-727
B-737
B-757
B-767
DC-9-80
F-100

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Don't have photos, at least not handy but have flown:

Civilian:
C-150
C-172
C-182
C-310
PA-28-R200
Pitts S-1C, S-2A, S-2B
Citabria
Various other small planes

Military:
T-34C
T-2B
TA-4J
F/A-18 A/B/C/D
C-9 (DC-9)

Commercial:
B-727
B-737
B-757
B-767
DC-9-80
F-100

Very impressive.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed impressive career Todd beer Would love to press you for a favourite, if you have one given the breadth of your experience.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
Agreed impressive career Todd beer Would love to press you for a favourite, if you have one given the breadth of your experience.

Favorites would be:

Civilian Personal - Cessna 310

Civilian Commercial - B-757. Amazing what that bird could do. Take it into a snowy runway at La Guardia in night operations, minimum IFR conditions, and that big old bird will just set down, squat and stop with no issues what so ever. Awesome performance leaving as well. Nice bird.

Military - A-4 for the fun of flying. F-18 for actual combat operations. You felt like King Kong in that jet!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I can’t say i did it, but I have most of my uncle’s logbooks. I counted the different types of planes and helicopters he flew and it was over 120. From the Umbaugh-18 to the S-55 to all the DC series from 3 to 10 (yes, the 5 too). He personally owned a Twin Comanche. Cool dude.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Almost embarrassed to include myself in this list, but flew a Tomahawk (Trauma-Hawk on hot days) and 140 for about 100 hours, had a blast, met my future wife and couldn't do the financial and time commitment. Flying solo around Montana was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done. Congrats to those who get to fly!

Love that Wilga! A guy put a turbine in one, findable on YouTube, crazy impressive.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very much welcome and a exactly the kind of sentiment about aviation welcomed in this thread! The pure joy of it.

Yes that would be “Draco”, Mike Patey’s Wilga with the PT6. Awesome machine for fun but afraid I wouldn’t be able to work it, range too short and fuel burn far too high. I’d go from 7hrs endurance to 2hrs. Big Grin Love it technically however!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helo
H34
S3
Bell 212, 214, 206, G3b2
French, AS350B,BA, AS315
Hiller H23

Fixed Wing
Aztec
Turbo Commander
Citation XL, Citation 5, Citation II

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice career, well advanced on both sides rotary and fixed type wise, that’s rare. Never flown a fixed wing bigger than the Caravan. My rotary has topped out at a very similar payload class.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Angus, GREAT photography and makes me envious!!
I think you should teach me to fly helos on your time off!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Angus, GREAT photography and makes me envious!!
I think you should teach me to fly helos on your time off!!
Cheers,

Thank you sir! Know the Pacific Northwest is familiar to you Wink It’s the place that gets the credit, hell of a place to make a living.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys
Here is a list of aircraft I have flown from smallest.
Owned
Taylor J2
Champ 7EC
Cessna 170B wh/skis
Cessna 170B wh/skis/floats
Cessna 150
Maule M5-210c
Steen Skybolt ( current)

Taylor J2
Piper J3/J4/PA11/PA12/PA14/PA16/PA18/PA20/PA22/Pa23/PA28/PA30/PA31
Beech D18/D95/35
Stinson 105/108-1-2-3
Aeronca/Champion 7AC/11AC/7EC/7FC/7ECA/7GCB
Cessna 150/170-A-B/172/180/185/206
Found FB2C
Stits Fluterbug
Steen Skybolt
Norseman Mk VI
DHC-2/DHC-3/DHC-3T/DHC-6
Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer
Gruman Widgen/Goose/Mallard
Lockheed 1808
Douglas DC-3 (wheels and skis)
Consolidated PBY5A/PBY6A
Consolidated PBY5A Waterbomber Check Pilot/ Chief Pilot 5175 bombruns and drops
Boeing 737(gravel)very high Arctic operating on the ice of Arctic Ocean
Boeing 767

Helicopters
Hughes 269/300
Bell 47D1/G/H/G2/G4/G4A
Sikorsky S55
Bell 206

Might have missed a few. Currently flying a PBY5A that was crashed above the Arctic circle but rescued and rebuilt for eight years. If anyone is interested in the story of this airplane just google"save the Canso"(the Canadian name for a Catalina)quite an interesting story.
I've got a couple of pictures if someone could post them for me. Bills

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Brady:
Hi Guys
Owned
Taylor J2

Champ 7EC
Cessna 170B wh/skis
Cessna 150
Maule M5-210c
Steen Skybolt ( current)

Taylor J2
Beech D18/D95/35
Stinson 105/108-1-2-3
Found FB2C
Stits Fluterbug
Steen Skybolt
Norseman Mk VI
DHC-2/DHC-3/DHC-3T/DHC-6
Lockheed 1808
Consolidated PBY5A/PBY6A
Boeing 767

Helicopters
Hughes 269/300
Bell 47D1/G/H/G2/G4/G4A
Sikorsky S55
Bell 206

Might have missed a few. Currently flying a PBY5A that was crashed above the Arctic circle but rescued and rebuilt for eight years. If anyone is interested in the story of this airplane just google"save the Canso"(the Canadian name for a Catalina)quite an interesting story.

Sir, Angus my nominee for badass of the month. You just took that award (not like it matters or any prizes).

DC-3 on skis?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Guys
Owned
Taylor J2
Champ 7EC
Cessna 170B wh/skis
Cessna 150
Maule M5-210c
Steen Skybolt ( current)

Taylor J2
Beech D18/D95/35
Stinson 105/108-1-2-3
Found FB2C
Stits Fluterbug
Steen Skybolt
Norseman Mk VI
DHC-2/DHC-3/DHC-3T/DHC-6
Lockheed 1808
Consolidated PBY5A/PBY6A
Boeing 767

Helicopters
Hughes 269/300
Bell 47D1/G/H/G2/G4/G4A
Sikorsky S55
Bell 206

Couple of real interesting types in that list.

DC3 on skiis!!

shocker

PBY!!!!

patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys Todd it looks like you had a pretty interesting career too.
I did forget one an interesting one at that.
Armstrong Whitworth AW650 Argosy
Take care Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite an impressive display of flying careers and skills here!!

Bill- I see you have lots of experience in the PBY and water bombing. Wondering if you know PBY Fred, a retired Northwest 747 Captain who is one of the few PBY Instructors still active in US...right here in Seattle>><?? Lots of water bombing experience in PBY and others, the PBY belongs to Budd Rude family in the northwest and still active...bombing and instruction for Type Rating...now that would be cool!! He has also gone to France and flown airshows in the PBY and DC-3 recently!!

Yes, they put the DC-3 on Skis and FLOATS!!

I can't compete with the lists already presented but when I get pressed I usually say- "from Super Cubs to Gulfstreams,and lots of FAM experience from T-33 to C-141 in the Air Force!!"
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470EDDY
I've never met Fred wrong side of the border I guess. Interesting if he went to France to fly a PBY it would have been N9767 which was formerly CF-CRR it was one of our waterbombers when I was Chief Pilot . That is an interesting airplane was on 162 squadron RCAF #9767 based in Reykjavik Iceland and it was the first squadron aircraft to sink a U-boat. The PBY that I now fly was also on 162 Sq as well.Did you by chance try a google for "save the Canso" that will give you the story of CF-NJE ex RCAF #11094
Take care. Bill

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

I can't compete with the lists already presented but when I get pressed I usually say- "from Super Cubs to Gulfstreams,and lots of FAM experience from T-33 to C-141 in the Air Force!!"
Cheers,

And with all that wide range of experience, isn't it interesting that some of the most fun can be had in planes like that little Super Cub!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is'nt that the truth Todd hard to beat the basics. Bill

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The DC-3 (C 47) has done it all now. It was one of the first first class passenger aircraft, then carried paratroopers, and was favored for drug runners, but also skis???

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
And with all that wide range of experience, isn't it interesting that some of the most fun can be had in planes like that little Super Cub!!!

I agree with that too....and today Cub Crafters builds a Light Sport version that has a 180hp engine and it is a rocket for bush work...and you can fly with a Driver's License for Medical...that us Ol' Farts like!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would really consider a carbon cub, despite the price, if it was certified and an available in Canada. Amazing little machines!

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
470EDDY
I've never met Fred wrong side of the border I guess. Interesting if he went to France to fly a PBY it would have been N9767 which was formerly CF-CRR it was one of our waterbombers when I was Chief Pilot . That is an interesting airplane was on 162 squadron RCAF #9767 based in Reykjavik Iceland and it was the first squadron aircraft to sink a U-boat. The PBY that I now fly was also on 162 Sq as well.Did you by chance try a google for "save the Canso" that will give you the story of CF-NJE ex RCAF #11094
Take care. Bill

Bill, I will check tail numbers on the French bird, probably the same one!! Small World.
The reason I mentioned the PBY here in Northwest is that our Timber Company used to charter with Budd Rude- "The Flying Fireman" who was based in BC, and he was originally a Canadian from Sidney who managed the FBO in Tacoma, I worked at when I was in college (1962-67)...and later. He ultimately moved down to US where he retired but still owned many planes and helicopters..the PBY, one of them. Last I heard it was off on a movie making mission surrounding rescue that bird did in the So Pacific on the Enterprise....
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
The DC-3 (C 47) has done it all now. It was one of the first first class passenger aircraft, then carried paratroopers, and was favored for drug runners, but also skis???

The first plane to land at the South Pole was the dc-3 que sera sera. The backup/rescue plane was another dc-3 named Charlene. My uncle was very close friends with the pilot of Charlene, Eddie Frankiewicz. I met Eddie several times and corresponded with him while working on my uncles biography. A really great guy.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would really consider a carbon cub, despite the price, if it was certified and an available in Canada. Amazing little machines!

Angus, There is a fully certified and factory built Carbon Cub. It has the Gross weight of 2400lbs vs the LSA at 1350lbs, that's what makes the Light Sport such a rocket---2000fpm on takeoff and a 60foot take off and landing profile for backcountry use!!
My dream would be a Carbon Cub SS ie LSA on Amphibious Floats to base right in front of my home....probably not much useful load, however!!
Your photography is AWESOME!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
OH, forgot to mention... I sure would like to talk Angus into doing the instruction for my Rotary Wing rating...up in your beautiful country!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would be great fun, we’re in the right country, get some mountain time in too. Big Grin

On the certified carbon cub, cool! Looks like I’d lose utility however to the Wilga, specs look like it’s a smaller Wilga and I’d spend to go backwards. But I’m experienced and have a proven track record at that. rotflmo

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would be great fun, we’re in the right country, get some mountain time in too. Big Grin

On the certified carbon cub, cool! Looks like I’d lose utility however to the Wilga, specs look like it’s a smaller Wilga and I’d spend to go backwards. But I’m experienced and have a proven track record at that. rotflmo

HA,HA...I wouldn't recall the Rhino...that would be to PAINFUL!!

You can't land on a 100 ft Gravel Bar or Mountain Top with the Wilga!!

Yes, I cannot believe the HORRENDOUS COST of New Airplanes and Boats these days!! No wonder young people can't learn to fly these days and there is a shortage!!
When I learned in a Piper Colt, it was $12/hr WET, and instructor $8/hour...today there are few 2 seaters for training so everyone uses 172's...they are $125/hour and the instructor $50/hour...and NO, salaries and wages have NOT gone up 10 times since I was learning in the 60's... I was making $7.50/hour on a summer job in a chemical plant, and $$750/month when I started at Weyerhaeuser as a professional accountant with a college degree!! And then you had to PAY to fly the right seat in the Commuters to build time!!...that was predecessor to Horizon Air in Metros!! TRUE!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
470EDDY
Take care. Bill

Bill, Here is response from Fred-
Your friend is right.
The one in France is N9767. It was sold and this summer will be coming to Oregon.
 Bud's was N85U, a PBY 6A.

Small world, EH!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
yes "those were the days"

soloed in a 1939 Taylorcraft
float rating in an modified 65Hp T-craft on floats (yes, hard as heck to got off the water)
afforded this training as a teenager from my own meager earnings
sad kids can't manage that today
many planes and hours since -

remember the pennies scrimped together --just to fly a bit longer--

(PS, --Angus, love the Wilga)

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, even though I was in High School and working summer jobs, to this day, I don't remember scrimping to fill the tanks on the airplanes!!...auto gas was $0.13 and AvGas was $0.25-.35!! The old Alon Air Coupe I was charged with flying every week took 12 gallons I recall... so less than a $5bill!!....NOW $5BUCKS a gallon!!

The DRACON Wilga wit PT-6 will be at the Anchorage Great Alaska Aviation Gathering May 4-5, same weekend as Cal Pappas Double Shoot...a GREAT reason to make BOTH events!! I am certainly trying!!
See Y'ALL There!!
Cheers

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually the Cub Crafters Top Cub and the Wilga will perform pretty similarly, and there isn’t better rough ground suspension than the Wilga trailing link. The Wilga stalls at 35kts, the Top Cub at 42kts. On wheels and with only one passenger and minimal gear like the cub the Wilga 2000 / 300hp is downright violent, isn’t a gravel bar I’d take a supercub into it wouldn’t do. Mountain tops though, those are for helis! Big Grin It is the brute force method rather than the light and finesse, but it does it without complaint.

Mind you fill the back seats and cargo, add the amount of fuel it’ll let you carry (100 gallons) and it acts like a small Beaver rather than super a cub. Usually you’re heavily loaded, if you’ve got the fuel capacity and room you end up using it! But she’ll happily play with a 180hp Supercub and look good doing it too at the same loads.

Neat thing happened today, went to the post office, to find my first love and plane featured on a stamp! Speaking of youth and flying, this was the way I afforded to start, I bought a Lazair II (Canadian twin engine ultralight) as an 18 year old and scared myself silly flying it. The bug took hold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
470EDDY
Nice to hear old CF-CRR (N9767)is coming back from France.If she is going to be in Oregon I'll have to fire up the Skybolt and come down to see her,let me know when she gets here.Talking about the cost of lessons I remember I paid $8 an hour wet dual and solo quite a difference.
Take care. Bill

DRSS

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill Brady-
Certainly will. I touch base with Fred pretty regularly and he will know...or maybe will be involved in flying her back??!!
I will bet she will be connected with one of the museums- McMinville, The Dalles, or Madras??
Maybe we can meet you there, we have an old firend living near McMinville who I flew with at the FBO when I was in college...he ended up Chief Piot for Evergreen, on 747's.
Cheers,

470EDDY