Find
Notify
Tools

SEA-TAC Incident Oughta
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Have a bunch of folks in and out of government all stirred up and blaming whatever/whoever they can.
New rules, new checks who/where are the keys.

Sorry to see the fellow take his life and more so that he made so many watch something they never ever wanted to see.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Scary incident. Especially when you consider that had the guy flown north from SeaTac instead of South through the Sound, he could have crashed that plane into downtown Seattle within 5 minutes. The fact that he was in control of the plane for approximately 90 minutes is more than scary, it's insane.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Actually he flew the plane pretty well considering he supposedly had no flying experience. His loop was rather nice, even the ground controller thought so.

I guess he flew over our house but all we heard was the sonic boom from the fighters.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Not clear from any report I've seen...apparently they had radar contact as the controller was suggesting directional turns. Did the guy turn on the transponder or were they just skin painting the aircraft? If he did turn on the transponder did he choose a squawk or was it just the one left over from the aircrafts previous flight?

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Went right by us too....ran around Ketron Island in the Boston Whaler today...couldn't see any evidence from the water!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A very sad happening and I am glad no one else was hurt.

But, TSA is giving everyone so much hassle during their travel, and this can happen so easily??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed-

TSA is its own WORST enemy...as Jeff Foxworthy recently put it in a LONG list of "run by Idiots" commentary-

> If an 80-year-old woman who is confined to a wheelchair or a three-year-old girl can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.
>

TSA runs tests regularly and guns and knives still get through the scanners. The above is true as far as social rights and profiling....they have tied their own hands...or the LEFT has??!! I think bad guys could still get through TSA and wreck havoc, but truthfully, being a pilot and airline dispatcher rated (not practicing) I will bet that more errant behavior or even terrorist attacks could or will come from airline employees...sadly including pilots who go bad...think MALAYSIAN Airways jet that went missing....it could have just as easily crashed into a major city...
The news here in the states is really A Buzz over this incident....it could have turned out MUCH worse....
The future will tell...the only way to totally prevent this is to STOP FLYINB public airlines...only private jets!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Saeed-

TSA is its own WORST enemy...as Jeff Foxworthy recently put it in a LONG list of "run by Idiots" commentary-

> If an 80-year-old woman who is confined to a wheelchair or a three-year-old girl can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.
>

TSA runs tests regularly and guns and knives still get through the scanners. The above is true as far as social rights and profiling....they have tied their own hands...or the LEFT has??!! I think bad guys could still get through TSA and wreck havoc, but truthfully, being a pilot and airline dispatcher rated (not practicing) I will bet that more errant behavior or even terrorist attacks could or will come from airline employees...sadly including pilots who go bad...think MALAYSIAN Airways jet that went missing....it could have just as easily crashed into a major city...
The news here in the states is really A Buzz over this incident....it could have turned out MUCH worse....
The future will tell...the only way to totally prevent this is to STOP FLYINB public airlines...only private jets!!
Cheers,

You know, I've actually seen that, Checking out the wheel chair. Almost got me in trouble when I protested.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am afraid it is not in the US that they have stupid security people.

I travel a lot, and when with my family my wife keeps telling me to be quiet!!

We were in Zurich, Switzerland.

There was a lady with a small baby, and she had a dozen small bottles of her own milk fir the baby.

Apparently the machine to check the milk bottles in was around the corner - a walk of about 20-30 yards.

There was a young, brainless idiot there.

He picked two bottles, walked to the machine, checked them, brought them back, and repeated the whole process several times!!

My daughter was with me, and she kept saying “dad, don’t say anything!”

Why he did not take the whole box in one go defies comprehension!

I am beginning to believe these geniuses are chosen for lack of brain power!

I had one in Stockholm, Sweden, had me pass my hand bag through the screening machine half a dozen times.

I kept telling him the bag is open, and he welcome to look inside.

Eventually he asked to look at a smaller pouch I had in it, that had memory cards in it.

He looked at the cards, and asked “what is this?”

I could not help it, I said “chocolates”

An Englishman who was waiting his turn patiently behind me started laughing so loud when he heard this, the security guy just turn and walked away!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
You are right! Hessa knows her dad all too well! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
HA,HA,HA....chocolate chips!!

I think these TSA folks like Customs and Immigrations people do dumb things to root out "stuff"!!...in other words things to piss off travelers as when they lose their cool...they let things slip!!

A couple of weeks ago we were coming back from a fantastic King Salmon fishing trip up in Northern BC. We drove up to the NEXUS line and were first in line....I think it was shift change as there were two officers (man and woman) in the Box...they stood there BSing, laughing and punching each other ....while we waited for 5 minutes....to the point I started edging forward as if maybe they didn't see me...woman steps out and points up to RED light and keeps it up....I was BOILING by the time we were waved forward....for a 30 second welcome home....I had to bite my tongue NOT to say something as I drove away...my wife said "KEEP QUIET!!"....I kept smiling!!

It won't be long in our TSA where moms with their breast milk over 2 oz...will have to check them too!! HUMMM...??

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a 14 minute YouTube of the flight path and communications of this crazy stunt!!

SEATAC Stolen Horizon Air 400 track
What a sad story
Â
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...Fnw&feature=youtu.be

Passed over our Island twice on his flight of fancy...!! I heard a turbo prop go over, but that happens every day with flights going in to Tacoma Narrows airport....I also heard the Sonic Boom when the F-15s scrambled from Portland at about 1100mph...!!

Rather sobering as an aviator that this can really happen??!! I am really impressed with how calm all of the controllers and pilots trying to talk him into landing were...real professionals!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I wish the track on the video started a little earlier in the flight. I'm curious about his path around mount Rainier and what was said as he taxied out at Seatac.

Apparently my next door neighbors go to church with his parents. They said they didn't have any indication of him doing this.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote