Find
Notify
Tools

Home movie, Vietnam, 1969
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Surveillance mission with Grumman Mowhawk flying out of Da Nang. Pretty cool bird!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcRa9-Zrs9k

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, you know that my dad flew the F105?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, no. I knew he was a pilot. I remember an Armed Forces Day show in the mid-60s at Fort Lewis/McChord where several Thunderchiefs did fly-bys so low I could feel the heat. LOVED IT!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Before that, he flew the F-100. I have a framed picture of the squadron flying over the Grand Canyon in formation + signed by the wing commander to my dad.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool and brings back memories. I flew a Mohawk out of Marble Mountain in 1972. I was just back there in March of this year and there is practically nothing left of the old airfield. Mostly just high-rise buildings.

Posts: 138 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We operated 23 Mi. SW of Danang and had a Mohawk, we called them "Cowpoke" or a "Bird Dog" in the air around us in most daylight hours. The "Cowpoke" had mini-gun and rockets. Helped us out many times.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hollis, Doc, hat's off gentlemen. I was about to enlist when Dad, a WWII combat vet, talked me out of it.

– John Green, author