New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had a tremendous opportunity come to fruition recently. I got a call offering me a chance to photograph A-10's in a live fire exercise at the Barry Goldwater USAF Range in Arizona. I was able to rearrange a few appointments and quickly headed out the door. Hearing those Hogs firing their 30mm GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling-type cannons within close range of your camera position is quite an experience. These Hog drivers are sharp shooters with those cannons and I would definitely not want to get caught in the open desert with one of these bad boys on my tail.

Here are some of my images from that photo op.

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
Cool!!!

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30mm X 6 , that'll scare the Big Bore guys on the forum . "obsolete" but it sure works well.

Do you have a good photo of that A-10 that was completely shot up but flew back to base ??

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
You have an awesome camera! One of my favorite military aircraft, just wish they had a USMC model!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome photographs!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
30mm X 6 , that'll scare the Big Bore guys on the forum . "obsolete" but it sure works well.

Do you have a good photo of that A-10 that was completely shot up but flew back to base ??

Actually the GAU-8 "Avenger" cannon is 30mm x7.

but otherwise I agree with you.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Warthogs! Bah! They obviously have not come into contact with a 300 gr Nosler out a CZ ZKK 602. Big Grin

Actually, excellent photos. Must have been fun. tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Great photography. A Nikon? Which lens?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Great photography Jeff. I like #5. tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I want to see the close-in ground support model with lighter guns and a bunch of ammo, plus some rockets and small bombs

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4226 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote