New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 Avro sisters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice! Wonder if all that glass in the Avro cockpit made the crew more vulnerable to flak.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, that Vulcan was a beautiful aircraft! I remember seeing a slow pass by one at Farnborough, then at the end of the runway it pulled up in a near vertical climb.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got caught up watching the props go in and out of sync

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Damn, that Vulcan was a beautiful aircraft! I remember seeing a slow pass by one at Farnborough, then at the end of the runway it pulled up in a near vertical climb.
Peter.

Had one in Calgary once, for an air show. What struck me was just how high off the ground it was, not to mention the unorthodox shape for a big aircraft.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Nice! Wonder if all that glass in the Avro cockpit made the crew more vulnerable to flak.

You mean Versus all the thin "bulletproof" aluminum skin?

I'd expect the "Perspex" would slow steel shards from flak better than the 1/16"
aluminum would...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good point Allan. Didn't realize the aluminum was that thin. Makes the danger from flak much more real!
My late uncle, a tailgunner in a B-17, was wounded by flak over Germany, but not severely.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Non-pressurized aircraft, even large ones like a Lancaster
have the thickest aluminum skin on the wing surfaces
(an area that must not deform in use)

While the fuselage on most modern aircraft is "Stressed skin" monocoque structure the Lancasters large unobstructed bomb bay is not possible without fatally compromising an unframed structure.
Therefore since it had to carry the weight of that framing a heavy skin was weight that no engineer wanted to use engine power lifting into the sky in place of fuel or bombs.

So the Lancasters strength comes from it's internal framing

weight is obviously very critical on something that is supposed to fly, but especially so on what was at the time a long-range heavy bomber....

Basically if it wasn't "Payload" (either fuel or bombs) you wanted it to be lighter.

Modern aircraft have much thicker skins because they are generally pressurized...

OR have "wet wings" where the wing skins are the actual walls of the fuel tanks.

Quick Trivia question:

What was the first production aircraft to have modern "Wet Wings"? (in the conventional modern sense of the term)

Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Non-pressurized aircraft, even large ones like a Lancaster
have the thickest aluminum skin on the wing surfaces
(an area that must not deform in use)

While the fuselage on most modern aircraft is "Stressed skin" monocoque structure the Lancasters large unobstructed bomb bay is not possible without fatally compromising an unframed structure.
Therefore since it had to carry the weight of that framing a heavy skin was weight that no engineer wanted to use engine power lifting into the sky in place of fuel or bombs.

So the Lancasters strength comes from it's internal framing

weight is obviously very critical on something that is supposed to fly, but especially so on what was at the time a long-range heavy bomber....

Basically if it wasn't "Payload" (either fuel or bombs) you wanted it to be lighter.

Modern aircraft have much thicker skins because they are generally pressurized...

OR have "wet wings" where the wing skins are the actual walls of the fuel tanks.

Quick Trivia question:

What was the first production aircraft to have modern "Wet Wings"? (in the conventional modern sense of the term)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aircrew loss was way higher in Lancasters than B 17s, because the designers cheaped out on the dimensions of the escape hatches from the aircraft, which made it very difficult to egress in an emergency.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know next to nothing about crew egress hatches and procedures from a Lancaster.

On a B-17 the easiest positions to escape from
are the waist gun positions, the radio Operator
and the tail gun position

The tail gunner has his own escape hatch and is probably the
easiest and fastest way out of a B-17 in an emergency.

On a B-17 most of the crew egresses through the bomb bay and these
positions are closest to the Bomb bay

The ball turret gunner was both the most likely to be killed by flak or fighter gunfire
and the least likely to escape, because of the tight confines of the gun position most ball
turret gunners left their parachute in the fuselage, (a bad choice between the parachute and a flak suit)
so they'd either have to climb out of
the turret back into the fuselage recover their chute then egress the aircraft or drop out of
their turret without the chute... Two gunners did exactly that and subsequently survived their
fall from >30,000ft... (through "fluke" circumstances, and not without injury)

One survived through falling in a ballistic arc down a hillside through snow covered spruce
trees which gradually slowed his fall, though not enough to prevent him breaking his legs

This last proves that something very unlikely can happen if there are enough tries at it...

I seem to recall a Stewardess survived the midair explosion of a jet airliner in the 1960's
more or less the same way

*We Band of 45-70er's*

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlvJBmDlfEY

Bournemouth 2014. Posted in August 2014. The wingover at the end is pretty cool.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Just found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlvJBmDlfEY

Bournemouth 2014. Posted in August 2014. The wingover at the end is pretty cool.
Peter

CWHM belongs to these guys.

http://www.warplane.com/

A lot of effort and money has gone into restoring this plane to flying condition. Just flying it over to take part in the tour was a major accomplishment. Wanna see it, just visit the museum at the Hamilton airport after they bring her home Big Grin

Grizz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I did not know that.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had the pleasure of seing the old girl back home at the Canadian War Plane museum in Hamilton, last week. Quite an accomplishment for a 70 year old plane.

The marvelous Merlin that makes her fly.

Grizz