Find
Notify
Tools

182 Bush plane
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
I Have a Cessna 182 “Alaska Prepped”. Was wondering who else realizes the capabilities of this Plane. It’s kind of a sleeper.

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell us more!!
Any pictures??
What engine, mods, tires?
Are you interested in selling or chatting about the virtues?? 182s are great machines...

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your interest.
1969, 182
Continental O-470-R
400+ hrs on engine lots of time left
Upgraded nose gear
29” bush tires on main
100 Gal total fuel
Sportsman STOL. Made by Stene Aviation
Float kit. No floats yet
Paint job in progress as I type then final assembly.
Like new!!
Yes I’m excited

www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds very COOL!!
Please post some photos when the paint is completed!!
I was expecting a straight tail model... I used to fly both in a great flying club of 5 planes, Super Cub and 4 Cessnas... including a 172, 182, 206 and 180 on floats ..

Can't beat them!! Good luck on completing your project!! I will expect to see you at VALDEZ STOL in the future!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please post some photos when the paint is completed!!

Yes!

My dad flew the bush here in Montana in the 50's. Hi favorite mountain plane hands-down was the 180.

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree that the 180 is probably one of the best bush plans on the planet. Most configurations though are tail dragger‘s. I started getting really interested in the 182 and another friend of mine had one and several of us went hunting on the north slope. We had two Super Cubs A 185 Cessna and my friends 182 Cessna. Everybody had about 500 feet for takeoff and landing or a large gravel bar filled with Driftwood.
Of course the 185 and the two cubs jumped off the gravel bar. When it came time for the 182 he also jumped off the gravel bar in just as many feet is everybody else. A couple days later I was visiting with him I said I was amazed at that 182 took off that short?? He said you have to remember with the weight plus or minus that all the tail draggers have to pick up their tail. The 182 already has it still picked up off the ground. To him that made all the difference in the world a day they started watching 182s and flying them they are in amazing plane. They are starting to really catch on here in Alaska.

www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, especially the older and lighter straight tail 182s... until you break off the nose gear on a bolder or branch on landing.... then you are "up a creek without "the proverbial paddle!!"
That said, I will say that 206s have been used very successfully in similar load hauling jobs, around the world, mostly without incident... including often in Africa for bush strip charters... and now the ubiquitous CARAVAN, or Cessna 208 propjet!!
Note- yes tail draggers do have to life the tail a bit, but nose draggers have to rotate the opposite direction to attain proper takeoff attitude... they don't fly flat very well!!... but a tail dragger can take off with the tailwheel still on the ground... see Valdez STOL performances!!
CheerZ,

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
To your point on Nose Draggers, it is interesting to note that Cub Crafters has added a Nose Gear version of their very popular X-CUB....Super Cub on steroids!!!! It is selling very well!!

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADDOG:
I would have to agree that the 180 is probably one of the best bush plans on the planet. Most configurations though are tail dragger’s.

And that’s a problem because?

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I ran an early 1956 C182 with 29" main gear and an 8:50 nose wheel. The 1956 versions had the same gear legs as the C180 so sat real high.
I ran it out of the same strips as mu C180 and due to it starting out level it would get off quicker than the 180 tail dragged

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Good morning All!
Have started the paint process. As usual these projects seam never ending.

Phil my 182 is set up like the one you had/have. I also have the high main gear, and tires.

Am currently upgrading with a float kit (a TON of extra work and $$) but we’ll worth it.

Thanks for taking interest.
I’m excited to get pictures for you all.

www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The float kit is a big expense but certainly gives you a tougher and more useful bird

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have any pictures yet!!

470EDDY