New
Find
Notify
Tools

My friend Gene Beggs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you know of Gene. We are benchrest shooting buddies.
https://fightercombat.com/upright-flat-spin/
Gene is a retired Southwest Airline pilot, a competition aerobatic champion, Benchrest innovator, and runs a shooting tunnel in Odessa, Texas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpKaFlR98zE
Gene introduced the 220 and 6mm Beggs cartridge.
http://www.accurateshooter.com...ical-skeleton-stock/
He is going through a rough time now. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah and he's one of the leading training guys in spin and unusual attitude recovery. The "Beggs" recovery is a useful and simple technique for any and all stall situations.

He's quite famous in the aerobatic world!

http://www.usnationalaerobatic...e&m=36&action=delete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gene is an innovative person. He mfg and sold wind probes to help us read the wind. It was based on cross wind component. I needed a couple and Gene said he would bring them to Seymour, Texas for the shoot. Seymour is 4hrs or about 265 miles from Odessa. Gene brought them to me and returned home. I thought he was staying to shoot the match that weekend.
Just the kind of guy that Gene happens to be.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
I read Mr. Beggs article on spinning light aircraft at about the time I started flight instructing. Although it was not required I never soloed a student without showing them spins and how to recover. Before you ask...no, I never had a student quit or ask for another instructor. It's all in how one introduces the subject. The spin is just something a airplane does, it's not a mad tiger hiding behind a cloud waiting to grab you. Anyhow, using Beggs recovery technique gave students an easy to remember and simple to do recovery. My thanks to Mr. Beggs first for doing all the work to refine and prove his system and second for publishing it so all could benefit.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubbleduck47:
I read Mr. Beggs article on spinning light aircraft at about the time I started flight instructing. Although it was not required I never soloed a student without showing them spins and how to recover. Before you ask...no, I never had a student quit or ask for another instructor. It's all in how one introduces the subject. The spin is just something a airplane does, it's not a mad tiger hiding behind a cloud waiting to grab you. Anyhow, using Beggs recovery technique gave students an easy to remember and simple to do recovery. My thanks to Mr. Beggs first for doing all the work to refine and prove his system and second for publishing it so all could benefit.

If you are speaking to me, I'm not a pilot and don't claim to know what a spin stall happens to be.
I'm sure you are a great instructor.

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
BL...Comment not directed at you at all...just an example of the value of Mr. Beggs work to a, at that time, working flight instructor.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubbleduck47:
BL...Comment not directed at you at all...just an example of the value of Mr. Beggs work to a, at that time, working flight instructor.

My comment was directed to you, but I meant no malice. I still say you are a good instructor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gene Beggs is a fine man and there's no telling how many lives have been saved by his work.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just the other day student got us into an inverted flat spin coming off a botched hammerhead stall. I let the kid really get his titt in the ringer and allowed the spin to progress into a fully developed power on flat spin.

The BEGGS recovery worked again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Just the other day student got us into an inverted flat spin coming off a botched hammerhead stall. I let the kid really get his titt in the ringer and allowed the spin to progress into a fully developed power on flat spin.

Sent you post to Gene. He thought it was great.
His response.

Hi Butch. I love to get feedback like this. Thanks for passing this along. Hope all is well.
Later,
Gene

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

Sent you post to Gene. He thought it was great.
His response.

Hi Butch. I love to get feedback like this. Thanks for passing this along. Hope all is well.
Later,
Gene

That's awesome! Thanks for doing that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike, Did you employ neutral stick or full back stick in the inverted spin?

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Surestrike, Did you employ neutral stick or full back stick in the inverted spin?

Power off, opposite rudder, let go of the stick. So yes that would be neutral stick.