New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is pretty cool
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Throwing up when you first fly in the fast movers isn't unusual, particularly in the back seat. You go from a standard turn angle of 20° in heavies to a minimum turn angle of 45° and your stomach rebels, temporarily. You put the little bag near the nose wheel after you land and move on. Usually it doesn't happen again, but most writers never get a second chance with it.

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Getting a ride in a Hornet, or any fighter, is a dream for most folks.

My Dad always said he would love to get a ride just once. I remember telling him he probably wouldn't enjoy it the first time as it's much more physical than people realize. You have to work up a tolerance to the G forces, both positive and negative, in addition to getting used to the rapid attitude changes (your inner ear orientation functions really get thrown for a loop ... no pun intended).

When I was instructing in A-4's, our squadron would receive and host a few Academy attendees for their summer internships. They would all get seat qualified to ride along. They always wanted to go on ACM (Air Combat Maneuvering) flights right off. I always advised them to work up to it. No dice, ACM it was. About 90% of them would pass out and puke several times on the hop.

All that said, if you get the chance at a ride, take it. I flew Navy jets for 7 years, including the Hornet like in the video. I never took the experience for granted. Not a single day of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Getting a ride in a Hornet, or any fighter, is a dream for most folks.

My Dad always said he would love to get a ride just once. I remember telling him he probably wouldn't enjoy it the first time as it's much more physical than people realize. You have to work up a tolerance to the G forces, both positive and negative, in addition to getting used to the rapid attitude changes (your inner ear orientation functions really get thrown for a loop ... no pun intended).

When I was instructing in A-4's, our squadron would receive and host a few Academy attendees for their summer internships. They would all get seat qualified to ride along. They always wanted to go on ACM (Air Combat Maneuvering) flights right off. I always advised them to work up to it. No dice, ACM it was. About 90% of them would pass out and puke several times on the hop.

All that said, if you get the chance at a ride, take it. I flew Navy jets for 7 years, including the Hornet like in the video. I never took the experience for granted. Not a single day of it.

I would like to fly in a fighter jet once. I would like an uneventful flight.

I may likely puke or pass out in a fighter jet. But I won’t be terrified to get into one. I would be terrified to get in a submarine - just the enclosed nature would terrify me.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Poor kid. I'd be right there alongside her. I'm with you Mike, just one simple takeoff and landing in a jet fighter would be enough. Geez, I still get a little boy smile just feeling the mild acceleration of a commercial jet.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
For a REAL fighter ride you can go back to the Kennedy Space Center and fly a Starfighter- F-104...$33k. You must have a pilots license and at least a 3rd class medical as you sign on as Additional Crew Member.
If that doesn't work, out here in Olympia at the Museum, you can take a familiarization ride in an L-39 Albatross cold war trainer....lots of fun.
You can also go down to Sante Fe NM and fly with Jet Warbird Training Center... L-29, MIG 15/17, T-33, FOUGA and also now an L-29
Also if your are OK with traveling in Russia, you can go to the SUKOI factory and take a flight in a Mach 2 SU-27 or 29, used to be able to fly the Foxbat 25 as well...they will do a Mach dash and soar to 50-60,000 feet where you can see the curvature of the earth. Less than the Star Fighter....if you are a pilot, front seat...if not, back seat... They like to check you out for unusual attitudes in the L-39 first>>>
Have Fun!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote