Find
Notify
Tools

Prop-Jets and Type Ratings?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
QUESTION??
I was having lunch yesterday with a high profile aviator and instructor pilot, retired NWA Captain of many years on 747's and lots of interesting time in Warbirds and other vintage aircraft, fire bombers, etc.
We were chatting about the little Siai Marchetti SF-260 TP with the little Allison-Rolls 250B17 propjet on it. I have been fantasizing about buying one...and more concerned about maintaining the engine reasonably, since that was mostly a helicopter turbine engine....used on some conversions...Cessna 206-Soloy, Beech Bonanza-
Tradewinds, Cessna P210-Silver Eagle and I am sure a lot of other stock aircraft??
At any rate, he made a comment I would have to be Typed in that aircraft...unless in the Experimental Category... alluding to all turboprops now require a Type Rating?? REALLY?? I think over 12,500lbs single or twin...but under??

IS THIS CORRECT??

I recall about 5-7 years ago FAA was considering a Type Rating in the Mooney/Mitsubishi MU-2 because of its accident history. I don't think that was ever implemented?

Any information on this would be helpful and interesting.

CHEERS,

470EDDY

Posts: 2528 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be a dick; but is there some reason you cannot just call the FSDO at Boeing Field or the FAA Regional office and get the answer?
I would consider the run of the mill internet denizens answer to be suspect.....

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I just attended the Puyallup Aviation Conference last weekend.... well exhibited by all FAA agencies, including SEATTLE FISDO....nope they couldn't answer!! "Look it up in the FAR-AIM...."

Well, if it AIN'T THERE, how do you find it.... by deduction if not there, must not be required??!# EH??

Well my local jet broker and ATP, CFII advises NO, there is a special FAR covering the Mooney/MITSUBISHI MU-2.... UNLESS over 12,500lbs, no Type Rating required!!

FISDO don't know all of the answers and generally don't send you to resources to get answers!!

Example, if I hold an Airline Dispatchers certificate, which requires passing the ATP written exam, do I have to take it again for the ATP Rating flight test??

Still don't know that answer!!

CHEERS,

470EDDY

Posts: 2528 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
All i am aware of is the requirement for
a Type rating in AC 12500 # MTOW and above.

I do not fly any longer, (about 8 years now)
though I flew TP's below 12.5 with no type rating (including the smaller MU-2)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
https://www.controller.com/lis...ai-marchetti-sf260tp

Broker is not aware of a type rating--

insurers requirement for time in type --yes

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My uncle’s license says “All Ratings Authorized.” Wanna borrow it ;-)

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
12,500# is the last info I had. But I've been out of the industry for 15 years or so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turbo jet, type is required regardless of weight.
Turbo prop, type required on anything over 12,500#

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
EXCEPT for "Rice Rocket," Mooney/MITSUBISHI MU-2 that has a special FAR training requirement now.

470EDDY