Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitters planes on here?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted
I run a Wilga 2000 on straight floats, and leased or rented Beavers. Everything is floats here as there are no flat spots that aren't very wet.

The Wilga is good, a bit heavy, but its 300HP and STOL aerodynamics help (leading edge slats, vortex generators). Controls and cockpit are fantastic, with extremely responsive "un-Cessnalike" control authority. I fly helicopters as my off season job and get used to 1/8" inputs to make a machine move, training in a Cessna floatplane was an eye opener. The Wilga isn't like a helicopter, but it is a lot more responsive / has a higher rate for a smaller input, I like that. It's a stick as well, which helps, I typically fly it from the right side as I'm used to sitting over there from the day job. Allows right hand on the stick and left for throttle, a better mix for most right handers.

The Wilga gets off fast, but is slow in cruise 95mph max without sucking huge fuel. Will go for 7hrs leaned and throttled to 92mph. Interior is lovely, like a modern sports car, but that's a problem too moving hunters and animals and gear.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Angus
That Wilga is definitely interesting.I really like how you did the picture of the old Beaver.
Take care call me if you are ever coming over to Victoria. Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Angus, the Wilga 2000 looks to be a slick STOL. Too bad they stopped manufacturing it.

What is the Gph at best cruise with the floaty things underneath?

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here is a link to this plane flying and landing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7o3Xn086oU

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote