THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    737 MAX- what's going on here?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

737 MAX- what's going on here?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:
Originally posted by Porosonik:
quote:
R

Yep- it looks like the workaround to fix the original workaround is taking a lot longer than expected. Imagine that. Fortunately, I'll be retired before the MAX returns to service here at Southwest.

Still, it's amazing to see just how much "fake news" there is surrounding this topic. Everybody's still saying that the fix will be a software correction to the existing anti stall system. It isn't going to be that easy.

The whole reason MCAS was added to this airplane was because the elevator didn't have enough authority to do the job at all attitudes and air speeds. The existing SMYD (stall management/yaw damper) controls pitch via the elevator, but there wasn't enough elevator available for it to do the job. That's when the engineers decided if they couldn't move the CG to the center of lift (and thereby control pitch) with the elevator, they would move the center of lift to match the CG by controlling the part of the wing doing the lifting. That was what MCAS was supposed to do.

Also- the single AOA vane story isn't neccessarily true either. The MAX definately has two AOA vanes- one on each side of the fuselage just under the cockpit. It is my understanding that only the right side AOA feeds the MCAS, at least that's what the block diagram in my training book shows. This could very well be a factor in why the MCAS runs amok. Strange- Boeing usually designs stuff with multiple redundancy eight ways to Sunday.

Anyway- to deal with the root of the problem, they're either going to have to give the elevator more authority (larger elevator), or add a cannard to the nose to make up for the lack of sufficient elevator. Neither looks attractive from an economic point of view.

Porosonik.

So, what you're saying is, it's going to take a redesign to fix the problem ? that could get pricey.

Grizz

I think if this were my futch-up to fix, I’d change the pylons to allow mounting CFM56-7 engines, put the shorter nose gear back under it, and call it a “Next Gen- Advanced”. It would be a proven airplane with bleeding edge avionics. It would probably be an easier sell than what they’re trying to do.

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I finally had a chance to go back and re-read all the posts so far, and noticed a common theme. Folks from the “pilot side of the house” have been trained from the beginning that the elevator is the only device that controls pitch. Full stop. End of story.

In this Brave New World of fly-by-wire aviation, that is no longer a constant.

MCAS was designed to control pitch independently of the elevator. It had to be that way, to “assist” the elevator when it runs out of effectiveness. Therefore, it has no direct physical connection with the elevator. No amount of treating it as an elevator trim issue is going to be effective, because it’s not the elevator position that’s changing the pitch. This is just one of the changes that need to be made in regards to pilot training.

Also, something new with the MAX is the “elevator jam landing assist” switch on the P5 overhead, just above the leading edge device position annunciatior (“pinball machine”). This allows pitch to be controlled as a last resort through the MCAS in the event of a disabled elevator. I guess the folks at Boeing thought this would be a nifty add-on so it wouldn’t be necessary to herd all the fat passengers fore or aft as a last ditch control method.

OK- rant off.

Porosonik

Well I'm from the "pilot side of the house" and I understand completely what you're saying about affecting pitch from the wing and not only the elevator. I flew the F/A-18, a fly by wire jet, and understand fully how the use of leading and trailing edge flaps are used to augment elevator authority. I get from your commentary that the Max uses spoilers to shift the center of lift in a manner to increase the elevator's effectiveness.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
some more info for perusal

https://theaircurrent.com/avia...n-system-mcas-jt610/

https://leehamnews.com/2018/11...losed-to-the-pilots/

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never even flown in a jump seat on a commercial aircraft but I will make three comments:

1. Porosonik: very impressed with your knowledge. Pilots may fly, but you know what makes it fly. Makes me feel safer flying. Hope you are well paid.
2. It seems to me Boeing engineers thought software could replace pilot skills.
3. I can't believe the MACS didn't require both AOA sensors to agree with one another. Why have two if you rely on one?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get from your commentary that the Max uses spoilers to shift the center of lift in a manner to increase the elevator's effectiveness.

I get that,
however in the Max,
I thought the FBW spoilers system
(Elevator Jam Assist and GSCM) operated separately and is not tied in to the MCAS

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
737 past useful design life after 60 years. Time for something new and better. Cockpit way to small for me but I only flew 200 and 300 but it’s the same size. They are trying to make the A320s more than they were designed to be as well but at least its fly by wire. A big advantage. American supposedly buying a whole bunch of 737 MacNeil let’s see how this all plays out. Good design initially but trying to make it something it’s not is problematic. No doubt it will be solved and be successful but there seems to be something lacking in Boeing leadership right now. Let’s hope they get their act together I like Boeing (just not the 737....)Wink

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
737 past useful design life after 60 years. Time for something new and better. Cockpit way to small for me but I only flew 200 and 300 but it’s the same size. They are trying to make the A320s more than they were designed to be as well but at least its fly by wire. A big advantage. American supposedly buying a whole bunch of 737 MacNeil let’s see how this all plays out. Good design initially but trying to make it something it’s not is problematic. No doubt it will be solved and be successful but there seems to be something lacking in Boeing leadership right now. Let’s hope they get their act together I like Boeing (just not the 737....)Wink

Same here. I flew the 800 with AA. A guy my size is really cramped in that jet. Coming from the 75/76, it was almost unbearable. Didn't care for the 737 at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I upgraded on the Airbus even though im a Boeing guy. Came over from the 75/76 very spacious and great airplanes. Everyone trying to replicate a 757 in an inferior airframe not gonna happen. Boeing need to fire up a modern 757 that’s what everyone wants not this headache. The Airbus is quite comfy that’s for sure even though it calls you a retard on every landing..And the 321 NX/NEO arent going to do the job either I think. Same engines as 737 max I believe just a taller stance so they actually fit the airplane. Although I see the cross wind limits are about half what the regular 319/320/321 is I’m guessing because the cowls are scraping the ground. Not impressed. But it is comfy and frenchy

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the guy who wrote this, but he nailed it!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boe...d-737-025425722.html

Porosonik.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Really a GREAT article....and you're right....IT NAILS IT!! "PENNY WISE AND POUND FOOLISH IS NO WAY TO DESIGN AN AIRPLANE!!"
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another BBC article/commentary, quite well done, I thought I had posted some time ago, pardon me if this is a duplicate??

Subject: What went wrong inside Boeing's cockpit? - BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/res...g_two_deadly_crashes

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Here is another BBC article/commentary, quite well done, I thought I had posted some time ago, pardon me if this is a duplicate??

Subject: What went wrong inside Boeing's cockpit? - BBC News

Thishttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/res...g_two_deadly_crashes

This is a good article which gets most of it right- with a few exceptions, notably the part about the MCAS using the elevator for control. One of the main reasons for it’s being added was the elevator alone couldn’t do the job.

Hate to sound like a broken record about this, but it is what it is. There has been a willful misinformation campaign it seems surrounding this issue, which is understandable. In the modern business world if you are faced with an unsolvable problem in one system, it’s acceptable to blame it on a system that “is” solvable- if you can get away with it. That’s what it feels like to me is happening.

It reminds me of the aftermath of the TWA flight 800 incident. The short term fix was to replace all the in tank fuel quality wiring (at great expense!)... and the long term fix was retrofitting all airplanes with NGS- a nitrogen generating system that adds nitrogen gas to the fuel tanks. The atmosphere inside the tanks is already 79% or more N2- there’s already too little oxygen for the fuel to burn, let alone explode. So... now we have NGS on all planes, which somehow uses the air conditioning packs to produce N2. They,ve never really explained to us how it all works, only that when the indicator light comes on, you interrogate the box and it will tell you which part to change. They could tell you, but then they’d have to kill you!

I’d better stop here- I’m already starting to sound like one of those raving conspiracy loons.

Porosonik

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing is becoming abundantly clear- a degree from some Ivy League business school shouldn’t entitle a person to run a tech heavy, safety sensitive business like Boeing.

Earlier in my career I experienced this first hand- only on a smaller scale. I worked for America West airlines in the ‘80s and ‘90s, which went Chapter 11 in the mid ‘90s.

The bankruptcy court replaced the original CEO ( who was an airline guy and not a business guy) with a guy who’d been CEO of Pepsi Cola and Circle-K, among others... and who had absolutely zero experience running an airline.

One of his first moves was to sell off the company’s inventory of spare aircraft parts. It made the Bottom Line look good... and when the planes stopped flying he blamed the mechanics. About the same time, he discovered AWA didn’t have a holding company, so he created one. From that point on, everything that went into or out of the company like planes, parts or fuel, went through “America West Holdings”, which paid him a certain percentage as a “handling fee”. In short, he made a lot of money.

After bleeding the place dry and beating all the creditors out of their investments he moved on, leaving what was left to be sucked up by US Air later. After reading about what’s going on at Boeing, I can’t help but sense a little daja vu.

Porosonik.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Making Nitrogen from air is NOT rocket science. I worked for Hooker Chemical in the 60's in High School summer jobs, where they had, among other things an Ammonia plant/farm fertilizer....NH3. If you freeze compressed air to liquid, then warm,"boil" off the Nitrogen at about -300 degrees-liquid, warm more to gas again!!
Stop there for Aviation use.
We had Hydrogen coming from the brine salt electrolysis cells that made chlorine gas and Hydrogen from Salt-NaCl and water H2O...mix Hydrogen and Nitrogen and you have NH3- Ammonia.
Chlorine gas for water treatment and pool chemicals, and Chlorine+ Hydrogen also for Hydrochloric Acid HCL, and finally Caustic Soda NaOH.
If you just used the first process you have free liquid nitrogen...which boils and becomes gas again well below ZERO. That could be injected into the fuel tanks...and more O2/air to go back into the Cabin>>>
I think that fuel tank problem might be/have been a much simpler issue than the rats nest that seems to have been created on the MAX??
Talk about career changing/limiting/ending decisions!!
I really hope Boeing gets it RIGHT SOON!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Making Nitrogen from air is NOT rocket science. I worked for Hooker Chemical in the 60's in High School summer jobs, where they had, among other things an Ammonia plant/farm fertilizer....NH3. If you freeze compressed air to liquid, then warm,"boil" off the Nitrogen at about -300 degrees-liquid, warm more to gas again!!
Stop there for Aviation use.
We had Hydrogen coming from the brine salt electrolysis cells that made chlorine gas and Hydrogen from Salt-NaCl and water H2O...mix Hydrogen and Nitrogen and you have NH3- Ammonia.
Chlorine gas for water treatment and pool chemicals, and Chlorine+ Hydrogen also for Hydrochloric Acid HCL, and finally Caustic Soda NaOH.
If you just used the first process you have free liquid nitrogen...which boils and becomes gas again well below ZERO. That could be injected into the fuel tanks...and more O2/air to go back into the Cabin>>>
I think that fuel tank problem might be/have been a much simpler issue than the rats nest that seems to have been created on the MAX??
Talk about career changing/limiting/ending decisions!!
I really hope Boeing gets it RIGHT SOON!!
Cheers,

When I was in the Navy, the department I was in was responsible for "distilling" air to produce nitrogen and oxygen. As I recall, it took quite a lot of horsepower to run the compressors and refrigeration systems needed to do this. In the aircraft N2 system, the only raw material they have to work with is air at about 300 degrees F. and maybe 25 or 30 PSI. I never got to take chemistry in high school, but it seems like it would also require a little "Black Magic" as well.

Porosonik.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"That is why most of the “ crappy" airlines self grounded while all the
> major US airlines are still flying without a problem."
Hmm, this thread started in March, it is now June, and at least one American airline has cancelled all flights of this aircraft until September. What gives? Wasn't this all about Asian and African pilots? Unfortunately, it turns out that even good ol' American pilots were not told about the software either, and for some reason they were upset!
Oh, what happened to the bird strike theory??!!
Then there is:

"Sadly on the MAX situation I speculate that Boeing will take a bust on the chops, BUT, I think a lot of this relates to the lack of training, and lack of overall EXPERIENCE by foreign airlines."

And, we still don't have a solution from Boeing that has been proposed, tested and approved. This is indeed a lesson in a putatively flawed system. We will have to see what happens, as I suggested back in March.
So, no, I don't believe that the solution to this issue is:
"WHERE HAS THE JOY OF FLYING GONE??"
I think it is a lot bigger than that!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
"That is why most of the “ crappy" airlines self grounded while all the
> major US airlines are still flying without a problem."
Hmm, this thread started in March, it is now June, and at least one American airline has cancelled all flights of this aircraft until September. What gives? Wasn't this all about Asian and African pilots? Unfortunately, it turns out that even good ol' American pilots were not told about the software either, and for some reason they were upset!
Oh, what happened to the bird strike theory??!!
Then there is:

"Sadly on the MAX situation I speculate that Boeing will take a bust on the chops, BUT, I think a lot of this relates to the lack of training, and lack of overall EXPERIENCE by foreign airlines."

And, we still don't have a solution from Boeing that has been proposed, tested and approved. This is indeed a lesson in a putatively flawed system. We will have to see what happens, as I suggested back in March.
So, no, I don't believe that the solution to this issue is:
"WHERE HAS THE JOY OF FLYING GONE??"
I think it is a lot bigger than that!
Peter.

Actually, it seems to me that Trump had to lean on the DOT and FAA to get them to ground the things. The FAA and Boeing weren't about to, without being forced. None have flown in revenue service with U.S. carriers since. A few reposition ferrys to store them where they weren't blocking traffic and taking up gate space- sure. But not a single passenger carrying flight since the grounding.

Porosonik.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Poro! I agree that Trump was out in front of this issue. There have been many allusions to a somewhat cozy relationship between Boeing and the regulators. We will see what shakes out.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you Poro! I agree that Trump was out in front of this issue. There have been many allusions to a somewhat cozy relationship between Boeing and the regulators. We will see what shakes out.
Peter

It's going to be interesting. Both Boeing and the FAA are now saying it'll be December before the MAX flies again.

Porosonik.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I did not know that!
Peter.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
NEVER, EVER, allow a machine to rule.

This morning there are videos on the Net of drivers SLEEPING in their self drive cars and the car is moving!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sullenberger says"

"he can see how crews would have struggled during the recent Boeing 737 MAX crashes after he spent time in a simulator running recreations of the doomed flights.

"I recently experienced all these warnings in a 737 MAX flight simulator during recreations of the accident flights. Even knowing what was going to happen, I could see how crews could have run out of time before they could have solved the problems."
I suspect that others have told the congressional panel the same thing, but hearing it from "Sully" might go towards counteracting the testimony of the vendor and other parties.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sullenberger says"

"he can see how crews would have struggled during the recent Boeing 737 MAX crashes after he spent time in a simulator running recreations of the doomed flights.

"I recently experienced all these warnings in a 737 MAX flight simulator during recreations of the accident flights. Even knowing what was going to happen, I could see how crews could have run out of time before they could have solved the problems."
I suspect that others have told the congressional panel the same thing, but hearing it from "Sully" might go towards counteracting the testimony of the vendor and other parties.
Peter.

I've gotten "chastised" a few times during check rides (both in the plane and in the simulator) for turning off the automation to make the plane do what I want it to do when the automation was confusing the situation. That's because I cut my teeth flying mostly bare bones planes in the Navy and the B-727. Boeing sells planes to a world of non-US, non-European (and others) airlines whose aircrew have very little small plane, no-shit stick and rudder flight time. Those aircrew are intimidated by the basics of flying when the automation systems don't act normally.

This debacle in on Boeing, 100%, not the pilots. When the unicorn merchants start trying to sell pilotless planes and driverless vehicles to the world, remember this. The engineers and bureaucrats who approved the Max weren't onboard when their baby was confirmed to be an ugly bastard. Pilots are human and make deadly mistakes. But engineers and bureaucrats can't fix bad code and design when the plane pitches for the deck.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 archer

- Mike
A-7D
A-10A
B727
B737
B777
(& some bug smashers too....)

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, my neophyte question is still this:
"Is it possible to fly a modern commercial airliner without computer assisted controls?"
If the answer is "No", then we are still left with the engineers!
Isn't just about everything "fly by wire"? We aren't flying Spitfires any more!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little more trivia- Boeing has exactly one MAX simulator. Other than that one, there are zero MAX sims in North America and probably the rest of the world.

Porosonik.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess that was why they wanted pilots to review it on an IPad!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, my neophyte question is still this:
"Is it possible to fly a modern commercial airliner without computer assisted controls?"

YES

If the answer is "No", then we are still left with the engineers!
Isn't just about everything "fly by wire"?

NO

We aren't flying Spitfires any more!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redstone:
+1 archer

- Mike
A-7D
A-10A
B727
B737
B777
(& some bug smashers too....)

+2

The only jet I flew that was fly by wire was the F/A-18.
Others were:
A-4
T-2
T-34
C-9B
DC9 Super 80
B-727
B-737
B-767
B-757
Fokker 100
And a bunch of bug smashers.

I always preferred flying with a minimum of automation engaged, unless in cruise.

To give you an idea of the reluctance I had on using automation and other equipment ... I used to get fussed at when taking a Navy jet into an Air Force base at night because it was in my habit pattern to never turn on the landing light. I was taught in primary flight school to land without it and never rely on it because what happens if it burns out? We never used the landing light at the ship. Didn't start using it until I got the airlines and it was a checklist item. The fewer things you depend on, the less a failure affects you.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fewer things you depend on, the less a failure affects you.

Hell yes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
We never used the landing light at the ship.

Reminds me of when Mitscher ordered the lights turned on the fleet the evening after the Marianas Turkey shoot so his pilots could find their way home.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd
I agree with you 100% far too much reliance on technology and not near enough JUST FLY THE AIRPLANE. Your no landing lights on the ship reminds me I don't know how many time I landed the PBY on the water in the Dark with no landing lights.
Take care. Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Brady:
Hi Todd
I agree with you 100% far too much reliance on technology and not near enough JUST FLY THE AIRPLANE. Your no landing lights on the ship reminds me I don't know how many time I landed the PBY on the water in the Dark with no landing lights.
Take care. Bill

Eeker Eeker

We at least had an ILS to 3/4 mile, then the meat ball. But landing on the water at night with no illumination! Yowza!!

Reminds me of the instructor telling his student learning to fly at night about how to handle an engine failure at night in a single engine plane. He told the student to "establish the proper glide, then when at the appropriate altitude in the drift down, getting ready to set it down, turn on the landing light. If you don't like what you see, turn it off!!!"

Whistling

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hi Todd
Take care. Bill

Eeker Eeker

We at least had an ILS to 3/4 mile, then the meat ball. But landing on the water at night with no illumination! Yowza!!

Reminds me of the instructor telling his student learning to fly at night about how to handle an engine failure at night in a single engine plane. He told the student to "establish the proper glide, then when at the appropriate altitude in the drift down, getting ready to set it down, turn on the landing light. If you don't like what you see, turn it off!!!"

Whistling

Todd:

I have a friend who is an astronaut; was on ISS when the Columbia disintegrated and I watched him launch on STS-126. Anyway, he always gives us the coolest private tours of JSC (I got to sit in Gene Krantz's old chair). We were there some years ago getting a tour and met a fellow astronaut who was a naval aviator; the guy had been up in the shuttle once. One of my friends asked him if going up in the shuttle was scary.

He looked at her and said, "Not as scary as the 134 night landings I did on a carrier."

I probably told this story before, but it is a fav.

His night launch on STS-126:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsIV1GLLEgw

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
quote:
Hi Todd
Take care. Bill

Eeker Eeker

Whistling

Todd:

I have a friend who is an astronaut; was on ISS when the Columbia disintegrated and I watched him launch on STS-126. Anyway, he always gives us the coolest private tours of JSC (I got to sit in Gene Krantz's old chair). We were there some years ago getting a tour and met a fellow astronaut who was a naval aviator; the guy had been up in the shuttle once. One of my friends asked him if going up in the shuttle was scary.

He looked at her and said, "Not as scary as the 134 night landings I did on a carrier."

Pretty cool launch of the shuttle.

I've got a couple of buddies that went on to fly the shuttle. Rick Sturkow (Marine) and Dominic Gore (Navy). I also instructed the Kelly brothers in advanced jets (A-4). Sturkow and Gore are good guys.

I gave Curt Brown his initial check ride when he was first hired at AA. We spent quite a bit of time talking about the shuttle. He was super cool about it. Guys would always ask each other about their back grounds. Everyone in the training dept. knew who Curt was as at that time, he had flown more shuttle missions than anyone. When asked about his back ground, his response was always, "I flew some high performance gliders"!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hi Todd
Take care. Bill

Eeker Eeker

Whistling

Todd:

I've got a couple of buddies that went on to fly the shuttle. Rick Sturkow (Marine) and Dominic Gore (Navy). I also instructed the Kelly brothers in advanced jets (A-4). Sturkow and Gore are good guys.

I gave Curt Brown his initial check ride when he was first hired at AA. We spent quite a bit of time talking about the shuttle. He was super cool about it. Guys would always ask each other about their back grounds. Everyone in the training dept. knew who Curt was as at that time, he had flown more shuttle missions than anyone. When asked about his back ground, his response was always, "I flew some high performance gliders"!

Pretty impressive.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hi Todd
Take care. Bill

Eeker Eeker

Whistling

Todd:

Yea, my buddy never says he is an astronaut; says he is an engineer. Extremely modest. He has several pics of him with Bush II in the Oval Office stored in a shoebox. Nothing framed on the wall.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So.... here we are. Late July and it's still grounded. Boeing management is now talking about suspending production if the problem isn't fixed soon. That "quick and easy software fix" is proving to be elusive.

Porosonik.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
So.... here we are. Late July and it's still grounded. Boeing management is now talking about suspending production if the problem isn't fixed soon. That "quick and easy software fix" is proving to be elusive.

Porosonik.

Frankly, I have no sympathy for Boeing!

Any company that takes shortcuts and puts people’s lives in danger can go to hell.

They screwed up right from the beginning of trying to modify a model that is not for fir the modification.

Apparently their first mistake was refusing to raise the height of the plane from the ground, to accommodate the larger engines.

So to compensate, they got into software control.

The Airbus model they were trying to compete with sits much higher, and the engines fit just fine under the wings.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote