THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    I'm not real fond of planes...but...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm not real fond of planes...but...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
22 years in the Air Force so far and I'm still not a big airplane buff. I'll admit, however, that it's better in the front of the AC than in the back.

Best flight? I got an incentive ride out of RAF Upper-Heyford in an F-111. We went to a range called "The Wash" where, in my father's younger days, he WSO'ed F-4s. He was tickled to hear I played his role years later...if only for a couple hours.

The only aircraft for which I feel any love at all is the C-130. Might come from my enlisted days as a gunner on AC-130a gunships. I even managed to have my pin-on ceremony on the back of an AC-130 a couple years back while deployed. The pic below is me with most of my air base defense HQ element.

The next couple pics were taken around Baghdad where C-130 pilots play out their fighter pilot fantasies -- yankin' and bankin' to confuse the bad guys...

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Interesting pictures. The countryside looks more agricultural than I imagined.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Badger Matt,

The RAF lost a Tornado over the The Wash a couple of weeks back. The crew got out ok, but I've not heard what the actual problem was...

I remember doing a little exploring on the for shore in the area, and wondering what that big ship hulk was for and then it occured to me perhaps I shouldn't be there! Eeker

How long were you based in the UK for?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Pete,

When I was a kid my father was stationed at RAF Bentwaters (70-74) and we lived in Ipswich for four years. As an adult I was stationed at AF Upper Heyford (92-93) for a year and we lived in Middle Barton. My wife and I loved England. Great people in the small towns and who can help but admire a country where each and every town, no matter how small, has a pub. Our town had maybe a hundred or so houses and two pubs.

Cheers,
Matt

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote