THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Ever wanted to fly an F4 Phantom?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever wanted to fly an F4 Phantom?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
D'oh! The Phantom is such a phenomenal machine. A down and dirty and a superfast vertical climb by an F-4 is always the highlight of an airshow. Nothing else quite vibrates my sternum like a Phantom. Thanks for posting!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep to me the Phantom was the epitome of what a big, American, heavy iron, fighter should be. Loud, mean looking and trailing thick black smoke at all times. Unless it's spiting fire out the tail in full mid scrambling loud afterburner.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a technician who had been a Phantom Fixer in VN. One day a pilot couldn't start his Phantom so he asked the tech if thwe emergency system worked .The tech wouldn't admit he didn't know so he said sure it works. The pilot tried and after a lot of noise smoke vibration it started . The thanks the tech got were some dirty looks by the pilot ! Mad wave

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Emergency starting system? I guess they were talking about the cartridge starting system, which produced clouds of dark smoke, and less than a few fires. Never once heard it called an emergency starting system. I started my USAF career as a Crew Chief on the F-4D--what a wonderful machine to work on. As an Aircraft Maintence Officer my first assignment was back to F-4s, slatted "E" models with TISEO. Lots of memories.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool aircraft.

Whilst Australia waited for the F111's which were late delivery, they leased some Phantoms.

Would love to fly one. I guess $12,000 is per hour is not too bad to run this type of jet?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Wow, they also offer a type rating in a Me262 as well!

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/ma_me262program.htm

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have never flown in a F-4, I got to spend a half hour in a F-4 flight simulator at the Idaho National Guard's Gowen Field in Boise.
That was a kick, I was surprised at how responsive the controls were. The instructor allowed me to do some aerobatics in it but his boss overruled him when he wanted to allow me to use some of the weapons systems. The funny part was the landing. For some reason, I couldn't quite get my depth perception right. I couldn't tell how close I was to the field so I hit hard bounced and ran the plane through one of the hangers. dancing I'm glad I didn't get a bill for that!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toomany Tools , I was never in the military, only in the defense industry working on various projects mostly Navy. Sorry if I don't have the right terms .Cartridge starting sounds more correct.
In all my 'failure analysis ' work the hard part was getting good info on the field use .Some a bit shocking - fill up the chopper with as much as you can then take off item by item until it can lift off !! Eeker
Some of the weapons were best used in Iraq like the neat armour killer -Rockeye bomblet with it's shaped charge. wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Cool aircraft.

Whilst Australia waited for the F111's which were late delivery, they leased some Phantoms.

Cheers, Chris

I think you mean F18 Superhornets.....

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
The F4 is still my all time favorite! Now if I can get $12K for my left testicle, I'll be going for a ride!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote