Find
Notify
Tools

And then there is the Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
In terms of sheer, ear-splitting decibel output is there a louder jet fighter than the F-18? Probably, although I can't recall seeing/hearing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_pX_tbLXQ8

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Bill, you may be right.

I have seen the Blue Angels a few times, with the last time in Tuscaloosa Alabama. That airport is very small and the seating areas are really close to the runway. I mean close!

The difference in seeing them at Pensacola or Lake Washington (in Seattle) versus in Tuscaloosa was amazing. I have never heard anything so loud as those F-18s and also the F-22 that was there.

When they went vertical on burner we were looking right up the tailpipes. It was awesome, especially when the F-22 that was there was basically hanging there vertically on burner right above the runway.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything old is louder. Low bypass/no bypass clunkers. IE F104/F4/B52 before upgrades.

Suspect Tu-95 is much louder than any turbojet.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOPPELGANGSTER:
Anything old is louder. Low bypass/no bypass clunkers. IE F104/F4/B52 before upgrades.

Suspect Tu-95 is much louder than any turbojet.

Absolutely. The Thunderbirds F-4 show was an impressive display of precision flying and thunder. An F-106 in full AB was awfully loud as well. As for modern jets, I think F-15s are louder than F-18s.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
EA-6B PROWLER (RECENTLY RETIRED) Essentially an F-4 phantom motor without a burner can.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
My business is on the old air base in New Iberia. There is a company that paints Dreamliners in a facility near the runway. We never hear the airliners take off or land.

When F-18s stop for fuel they leave no doubt they are around. Rattle the windows in my office every time. Love to watch the planes take off and land.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the loudest I have heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8gpQSgaG6c

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, B-1 is a loud as a four ship of F-16s. To me, the F-15, F-16, and F-18 have an uncomfortable high pitched sound. They all are turbofans vs the older turbojet style of the F-4, F-106, etc.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might have something to do with air mass and velocity eh? A single J79 produces say 17,000 lb thrust with AB? An F15 produces 3.5 times that? Etc. Could also be that TF engines can produce higher relative power levels at lower AS than a TJ. TJ needs speed to make speed.

Just my backwoods Bubbafied opinion of course, your mileage may vary.

Wink

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, you are fortunate to work where you can see/hear military aircraft on a regular basis. All we have here where I live is National Guard helicopter traffic. We lived near Fort Lewis and McChord AFB in the '60s, and I sure got spoiled with every sort of hardware the Army and Air Force had in those days. I sure miss it.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
In terms of sheer, ear-splitting decibel output is there a louder jet fighter than the F-18? Probably, although I can't recall seeing/hearing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_pX_tbLXQ8

Yes the good old CF-18 love the sound of them taking off in the tight Kootenay River valley in Castlegar .
FYI there's some very large 400" bull elk in those hills above there airport . beer

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent about three years working the flight deck on the E-Prise in the early 80's, and saw my first F/A-18's when they were doing carrier trials just before I got out. After spending so much time around Tomcats and the like, I remember they struck me as being somewhat "plastic" and Cessna 150-like in comparison. When you're twenty feet away from an F-14 on the cat at zone five A/B, the noise is so intense that it rattles your lungs to the point you can't breathe. That said, the all time king of noise is without question the EA-6B "Queer". A high pitched scream that can best be described as having an ice pick driven through your head (I used to hate them damn things! Mad).

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll find the video, but I recall the EA=6 as having sucked up more than one flight deck crew into its intake.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Little taste of that EA-6B whine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Oc-hGcrZQ

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The Prowler is the loudest airplane in the world. Only the Space Shuttles are louder and they are rockets.

The F-18 is 180 decibels. I know this because I have used a noise doscitmeter to measure it for my job.

A prowler is so loud that when you are on the cats next to one you have to open your mouth to keep from losing teeth when they rattle together. At least I do. An F-18 is not that loud.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
EA-6B PROWLER (RECENTLY RETIRED) Essentially an F-4 phantom motor without a burner can.

And as BWW says, you open your mouth to relieve the noise pressure. The EA-6B would rattle your brain. Not a pleasant job to be the JBD (Jet Blast Deflector) operator guy right in the "sweet spot" directly behind the engines. All you want to do is get away from it. Some of our guys lost fillings. The F/A-18 was a close second, but we didn't have Super Hornets or F-35's when I was in.

F-4's were awesome. Big, orange, greasy flame out the back. Your whole body shook as if it were a Saturn V on the runway.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote