THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    B-47 Nuclear bomb toss and escape maneuver.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B-47 Nuclear bomb toss and escape maneuver.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That is a big bird to be doing an Emelman with....I guess they lost a couple due to structural failure before they stopped doing it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6cIgTAtj4E4

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was stationed on a 640 class nuclear submarine armed with the old nuclear MK45 torpedoes in the late 1970s.

The procedure was to fire the torpedo, accelerate to flank speed while doing an immediate 180 degree turn and drive for the surface.

Oh yeah, and pray like you've never prayed before.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My granddad used to do fun stuff like that in a B47. What a cool Jet

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Frank, you very well might not be able to say, but what's the sense in a nuclear tipped torpedo? If the Soviets didn't have aircraft carriers, what's the point of using one on a sub?

I'd love to buy you a beer sometime and hear some of those stories, but I doubt you could ever tell me the good stuff anyway tu2

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1980's I had the privilege of playing a round of golf at McDill AFB with a retired general officer who had served there during the B47 era. He was there when Jimmy Stewart filmed "Strategic Air Command". He had high praise for the '47. but cautioned it would "bite you in the ass" if you made a mistake. This was namely the "coffin corner" at altitude where airspeed and stall speed might be no more than 7 knots apart.

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the Soviets do have battle groups of other offensive naval vessels which could be disabled/destroyed by a nuke torpedo. Using a nuke torpedo to take out a Soviet boomer would be a legitimate use as well.

quote:
Originally posted by friarmeier:
Frank, you very well might not be able to say, but what's the sense in a nuclear tipped torpedo? If the Soviets didn't have aircraft carriers, what's the point of using one on a sub?

I'd love to buy you a beer sometime and hear some of those stories, but I doubt you could ever tell me the good stuff anyway tu2

friar

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You ever hear the saying "close only counts when playing horse shoes or throwing hand grenades"?

Allow me to add thermonuclear weapons and launching nuclear tipped torpedoes...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Man, you're not kidding! And if it's hard for a bomber to get far enough away from a nuke, imagine what it would take for a sub to get a safe distance away...and water's a lot less compressible than air! Eeker

friar

quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
You ever hear the saying "close only counts when playing horse shoes or throwing hand grenades"?

Allow me to add thermonuclear weapons and launching nuclear tipped torpedoes...

AD

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote