Find
Notify
Tools

Learning to Fly
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
No, it’s not about the song. I’m nearly 42 and have always wanted to learn how to fly. I guess I could find answers through google, but trust AR.

What would be the time and cost to get single engine licensed? I realize that’s almost like asking how much a safari costs. It’s just something I should’ve done long ago as with many things.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marcus,

A realistic number to obtain a private pilot license is about $10k.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I encourage you to go ahead and try some introductory lessons. I think you'll like it. I used to fly but had to give it up for marriage, wife and a kid. I last flew 30 years ago and I still miss it very much.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like wwgreener says, life can get in the way of flying. It is a perishable skill so best to make sure that you will fly a lot and can afford to fly a lot. It also helps to be in a flying club or have a few friends who also fly. Best to have experience in the cockpit with you at all times. Otherwise it is easy to pull a John Kennedy Jr.

Bold pilots seldom become old pilots.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Although I first soloed in the Summer of ‘84, I didn’t finish my Private Pilot license until 8 years ago at the age of 52. A friend who flew F-16s in the Air Force and retired from Delta offered to teach me for free, and another friend who owned a C-172N and wasn’t able to fly it offered to let me use it for free. I recon I spent almost $2,000 on fuel. I’d estimate that $10,000 is a reasonable estimate if you rent the plane and pay the instructor.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus1 nailed it. I could afford to fly, but not enough to maintain my skill at a level that I felt was appropriate. Better to not fly than to fly poorly. I still may start again and have been giving it some thought.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Along the same lines as Opus1, I think you should first ask yourself why you want to learn to fly. Is it a bucket list thing - you get your ticket and then move on to other things, or do you want to learn to fly for transportation? If the later, give some thought to aircraft available in your area to rent eventually or the possibility of aircraft ownership. Otherwise, you become qualified and you may find out you don't have access to an airplane. Flying is a huge commitment of attention, time and dollars and it is one of those things where you never stop learning. I think 10K would be a reasonable amount IF you can stay with it and get through the training in a few months. If you stop and start and drag it out, you will spend more.

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a lot cheaper to fly MS Flight Simulator X and you can always hit the reset button if you crash. Smiler

Some Days You Are the Windshield and Some Days You Are the Bug.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 224VALMan:
It's a lot cheaper to fly MS Flight Simulator X and you can always hit the reset button if you crash. Smiler

But pretty tough to actually get anywhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You pay for flight time by a Hobbs meter which is a clock in the aircraft the runs the whole time the engine is running. Therefore I suggest you find a small airport out in the country that has a flight school and start there. That way you don't have to pay for taxi time at larger airports just getting to the runway. Sometimes that can take 20 minutes or more and at maybe $100/hr. that gets expensive.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies.

It seems I will just ask to sight right seat as much as possible to get the feel, as the long term addiction might break me.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every pilot will understand. And most every pilot is looking for someone to share in the cost of flying so you might find an experienced pilot (hopefully) who wouldn't mind you helping to fund his habit. There are quite a few flight clubs in and around Dallas so you should be able to find someone willing to play.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote