New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-82??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My neighborhood deli is owned and operated by a Korean family. I believe he was in the Air Force there. On the wall is a poster of a twin fusellage AC described as a P-82 Mustang. Sure looks like two Mustangs with three wings, one in common. Ths poster indicated it was developed in 1945 and made the first combat kill in the Korean convlict.

I would guess that few were made, and that it was pretty inefficent due to a lot of surface friction compared to the payload. On the other hand, it must have had a great power-to-weight ratio and pretty good manueverability. I'm no airman, so just going on intuition here. Comments welcome.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
I always thought that was a weird looking plane. Think it was designed as a long range fighter to replace the P-38. Don't think they saw much action though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to a CAF airshow in Harlingen Texas in the mid 1980s. They had a Twin Mustang being restored in the hangar. I think they had a problem finding the prop that turned the opposite direction. I later saw the plane fly at another air show.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were flying ops in early Korea days.
Link for ya...
http://www.crazyhorseap.be/Mus...nMustang/F-82_03.htm

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the p-82s served in korea with the 4th, 68th, and339th fighter [all weather] squadn. in ashija and suwan and they where stationed at many bases in japan and on okinawa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like alittle like the P38. Its cool anyways i always like the look of the P 51 and two together is just better!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the cooler variants was the night fighter version and the aerial photo version. There were some based here in Alaska and I have been to a couple of the wreck sites to collect parts with a friend. I believe the P-82 used the smaller "H" model fuselages.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Bob Hoover wrote about flying them in his book "Forever Flying". Interesting read if you get the chance.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote