THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    New Book- Airline Legend, Hunter and Womanizer!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Book- Airline Legend, Hunter and Womanizer!!
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Here is my book review on a good friend and Aviation/Hunting and Fishing Luminary-

[Dust Jacket Photo ]

BOOK REVIEW
CAPTAIN RON
-Flying Life’s Longitudes and Latitudes
by Captain Ronald L. Rismon
One of the very few men in the world who hold the coveted FAA-Airline Transport Ratings (ATP) for Airplanes, Helicopters and the US Coast Guard Masters License. I call him “Captain 2 ” -ie. “Captain Squared”, a term I have always coveted!!
For over 3 decades I have known Captain Ron from various Safari Club International activities, trust me, he is bigger than life in both personality and stature; you will always know when he is present. Captain Ron’s big (formerly Red) mutton chops sideburns tapering into a fine beard and is punctuated by a long and properly waxed handlebar mustache, which set him off, along with a rollicking laugh, always commands the room from all comers. There are always stories flying around and coffee, beer or Tequila flowing freely, depending on the location cigars too, and one immediately wonders how much of this banter is fact or fiction!...Simply Blue Smoke!!??
The book CAPTAIN RON Flying Life’s Longitudes and Latitudes is an auto-biography documenting a life that most would only fantasize. One might question some of the stories , however, each one is authenticated by written facts and numerous color and B & W photographs with dates, places and people, aircraft types and power, to validate these “events” of life. The book is HUGE, just like his presence, scaling in at almost 7 pounds, and a handful to manage while enjoying the stories and photography! It is simply amazing that any person might be organized enough to amass a collection of his adventures, over 50+ years, to create a volume of this stature. Frankly, it is a treasure whether you know Captain Ron or not, it really exemplifies an adventurous life of a kid growing up on a cattle ranch in Montana. He lost his father at a very young age and pursued his own design based on personal goals and decisions developed early in life which he pursued diligently. However derailed by various self-inflicted deviations- girls, fights, hunting and a lot of hard work, the Army and later Special Forces, course changes, ie he always knew that aviation was his calling and ultimate goal.
The military clearly solidified Captain Ron’s vision of life—tough, hardworking, physical, adventure that also gave him access to the GI Bill that supported his advanced aviation training he needed to pursue his goal to become an Airline Captain…clearly a long, lonely and bumpy road to success.
The book chronicles his adventures through the many stages; Commercial License, Instrument, Flight Instructor, Floatplane, Multi-engine, Helicopter and Glider ratings. Finally the break through and international (light-twin) flights across the Atlantic and an adventurous pilot’s life in Africa on cloud seeding missions. Later forest fire bombing in WWII bombers, crop dusting, helicopters, etc. filled with legendary people he came to know in these various positions and of course lots of famous bars, saloons, pubs, taverns, brothels and wild women that go with the territory. Incredible African hunting adventures were spawned by his location and association with various characters of the Bush; he later developed a deep love for the country, people and animals and location of his ultimate matrimony. Alaska beginnings of his airline career and later a Charter [boat] Captain too. This man has had adventure that most men only dream about and never succeed. Captain Ron has done it as the book documents with pictures and people (witnesses) to prove it…..otherwise it would simply be considered fiction. Women, airplanes (with copious descriptions) people, elephants and lions, Yachts and more Women….even some adventures being the personal pilot for the owner of a chain of Whore Houses….not kidding, and stories surrounding this association abound!
The book is absolutely magnetic, you can’t put it down, one chapter lures you into the next and next, all 482 pages, are printed on heavy, glossy coated paper, and very easy to read and enjoy; it is generously sprinkled with the lingo and plenty of the (4 letter) vernacular for emphasis. It simply keeps your attention with the expectation of the next adventure, or stunt. There were plenty of them, most laughable, some that fell flat with critical outcome! You will have to dig to find the roots of his aviation moniker- “Rotten Ron”!
Many people make a lot of assumptions, or take for granted, how pilots ascend the ranks to a coveted Alaska Airlines Captain’s seat, truly the PhD in aviation. It is clearly a struggle all the way, filled with many hurdles, setbacks, and more bumps in the road that derail many who aren’t dogmatically committed and keep fighting back with every setback. This takes guts and persistence and Captain Ron eloquently describes these career adventures in a very intriguing way with pictures, stories, antics and pranks that will have you laughing and shaking your head at the same time, yet, airline flying is a very serious and professional career. It is filled with very high stress from weather issues, aircraft mechanical quirks, bosses and the FAA, as well as many hours of severe boredom while boring holes in the sky. This leads to many more adventures with the (female) crew as often seen in the MASH movies in the release of stress or boredom that seem surreal to “normal people” behavior. Clearly out of the box to a point of being out of hand, well intentioned for the recipient, sometimes laughingly harmful, by intent…..HILLARIOUS, while simply blowing off steam, not all glamour, as seen from the outside. The book puts you “inside” this adventurous life. Fortunately, the life and legends of Captain Ron and his career took place before “Politically Correct” and “sexual harassment” was in the dictionary or the news. The Good Old Days of people working and having fun together without much harm and lots of laughs is well portrayed.
Interestingly the book gives you non-intrusive insight into the lives of very successful people and how they live their lives on Safari, private yachts and jets and various other luminaries and legendary people including present day Reality TV Stars like Ax Men, etc. Captain Ron has enjoyed many friendships because of his career and his legendary life and generously shares these friendships with readers.
If you enjoy flying and airplanes, women, hunting and fishing, women, people and places like Africa and Alaska, women, and most of all Patriotism, in a completely visual and flowing, adventuresome, even soldier of fortune way, this book is a must read. You will enjoy it! Whether you know or even have heard of Captain Ron, you come away saying- By Golly, He Wasn’t Kidding! You come away with the conclusion that you have gotten to know a truly legendary person who has lived a real fantasy in pursuing his career and serving his country very proudly. Clearly a don’t miss chronicle about a guy they broke the mold for after creating the legend, not to be duplicated, thankfully for the women and their fathers of the present decade.
CAPTAIN RON, Flying Life’s Longitudes and Latitudes may only be purchased directly from Captain Ron Rismon, please contact as follows:
Captain Ron Rismon
P.O. Box 659
Black Diamond, WA 98010-0659
captronabn@aol.com
253-670-2760
Send a check or M.O. no Credit Cards.
Captain Ron Book ---------------------------------------------$59.95
Flat rate priorty mailing ---------------------------------------$20.00
Washington residents sales tax --------------------------------$ 6.00

Ask for a personalized autograph, he will gladly personalize the book to you!

Enjoy, Steve Shull, Fox Island, WA

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun book!

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a real HOOT!!

I can't seem to get the picture of the dust jacket into the file??!! I am a computer KLUTZ!!
This is a coffee table sized book and it is an artist rendition of a Grumman Albatross Flying over Victoria Falls with a lightening strike highlight.

Interesting composite as Vic Falls is where he was last married, and the Albatross is covered in a full chapter, a delivery flight for new owners after major restoration....from no other than Indonesia/Malaysia to Colorado?? ...BOTH a REAL Adventure!!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
So the cost is really 79 bucks and change what with shipping?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your interest...you WON'T be disappointed. The book is a real hoot!!

That shipping rate is high because it is shipped in a medium sized box Flat rate Priority. I expect that you could also Capt Ron to ship it Media Mail Rate for half maybe half that rate and it might take two weeks to get there??

Cheers,

470EDDY

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
SO Let's try this once again.

I will type real slow

So the cost is 79 bucks and change when shipping is included

Challenge your limits

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
YES!! $59.95 Book + $20 shipping = $79.95.

I have asked Captain Ron to update the shipping costs and also evaluate the Media Mail price if USPS will ship that way.

I expect he will have an answer on Monday. He has been out doing signings all over the place...

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, this is interesting! I actually met Ron Rismon when I was a schoolkid in the early '80's. He brought a .300 Weatherby Mk V into SA for my old man (paperwork was a lot easier then!) that I used shortly afterwards on my first kudu.

I remember our meeting like it was yesterday. We spent a fun afternoon listening to some of his stories and, schoolboy that I was, was fascinated by the big man with red hair and tattoos on his arms. He was flying 727's at the time, if I remember correctly.

I've wondered what became of him many times over the years.

Posts: 390 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
YUP- that would be the guy!! Small world and he has covered most of it!

ENJOY!!

470EDDY

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Hope it is as good as the review claims, because I ordered one.

Challenge your limits

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Please contact Capt Ron directly, his e-mail is in the posted Book Review. I am on the road and missed contact with him last week...

Cheers,

470EDDY

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Well I got home late, the wife said there was a heavy box at the door to my "Man Cave".

I was NOT expecting anything, but there did not seem to be any wires or batteries and it was almost heavy enough to be lead.

Only one way to satisfy the curiosity, open the dang box . . .

What in the "H", Something heavy, rectangular and wrapped in bubble wrap . . .

Oh a book, damn by the pound I came out way ahead.

Ok, so I will just kinda poke around and see what the writing style is and how the words flow. If the rest of the book is anywhere as entertaining as the opening story I may have to go out and buy an estate, take up fine cigars and even better Scotch, or Bourbon.

The style and stories are going to be a pleasure to peruse if this is a hint of what is to come!
Real flying just kind of creates such stories and people.

I was told long ago that any landing that one can walk away from is a "Good Landing".

Thanks to Captain Ron for I predict this to provide hours of pleasurable reading.

For those in doubt as to my opinion, so far I "kinda liked" it.

Challenge your limits

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
AH TC...Glad you got it....and you will find lots of Cigars, Bourbon and good Tequila mixed in with all of the stories- Flyin, Women and Huntin....kick back and ENJOY!!

Cheers,

470EDDY