C-130 Herc

05 September 2011, 04:38
D Humbarger
Excellent photos. Thanks.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.
05 September 2011, 21:10
jetdrvr
Great shots of my favorite airplane. Used to be able to make that sucker walk the dog... Wink

Those pylon tanks look cool and increase range substantially, but they slow the old whisperpig down by ten knots TAS.
06 September 2011, 02:12
mete
Explain all that wire hanging off the tail in the first picture . Doesn't look like any HAM radio antenna .Maybe an American Indian ghost catcher ?
06 September 2011, 03:39
Jeff Welker
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Explain all that wire hanging off the tail in the first picture . Doesn't look like any HAM radio antenna .Maybe an American Indian ghost catcher ?

Since you asked, this variant of the Herc is known as the EC-130H Compass Call and hails from Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson. To be specific, the Compass Call is an airborne tactical weapon system using a heavily modified version of the C-130 Hercules airframe. The system disrupts enemy command and control communications and limits adversary coordination. The Compass Call system employs the offensive counterinformation and electronic attack capabilities in support of U.S. and Coalition tactical air, surface, and special operations forces.

Either that or it is the most expensive bug zapper I've every seen :-)
11 September 2011, 12:17
jetdrvr
I was talking to a crewmember on one of those several years ago. He said they could sniff the ayatollah's skid marks with that thing... Big Grin
14 September 2011, 00:58
B Mullins
Got a couple of rides on Herkeys in my time. Good aircraft.

The pilot can select reverse thrust from the props at will. Never forget the first time I saw a Herkey back into a parking spot on the ramp at Yokota. Most aircraft don't HAVE a reverse gear.

Good to see they're sill being used.

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.
(Ecclesiastes 10:2 New American Standard Bible)
16 September 2011, 22:40
psj12
I was Flight Engineer on B & E models for quite a few years. My unit was the first in the US to get the new Js. That put me out of buisness. No Nav or Engineer seat.
17 September 2011, 07:53
George Semel
I never get tired of looking at C-130's Lockheed really gotten it right with that one. Its every thing an airplane should be and then some.
19 September 2011, 14:46
jetdrvr
quote:
Originally posted by B Mullins:
Got a couple of rides on Herkeys in my time. Good aircraft.

The pilot can select reverse thrust from the props at will. Never forget the first time I saw a Herkey back into a parking spot on the ramp at Yokota. Most aircraft don't HAVE a reverse gear.

Good to see they're sill being used.

I parallel parked one in El Yopal, Colombia to get the right wing out over the fuel pit. Just another day at the office with Southern Air Transport. (It was either do that or fly two hours round trip up and back to Bogota to single point refuel and cost the customer over six grand.)