THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Airline Aircraft Maintenance- The Reality
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline Aircraft Maintenance- The Reality
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://www.vanityfair.com/new...nce-disturbing-truth

Some Days You Are the Windshield and Some Days You Are the Bug.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You ought to see some of the stuff I’ve seen come out of heavy check in such places as Seattle and Nashville.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
I was deployed for 5 yrs. as a maintenance inspector for FAA in Europe and the M.E. In my experience, the maintenance organization has more to do with quality of work than location. I have seen excellent work done in Hungary and absolute scheisse work done in the United States.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'd forward this to a guy I know who worked at Pan-am till the bitter end but he'd probably shot me.

The maint. shop at JFK made $300m a year pushing out engines and landing gear. This was in 1970/80 dollars.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Oh sure, the little guys who own less than 10 aircraft rely on the airline shops and big MRO's to overhaul their components.

Pan Am, Eastern, Western, Braniff...good ole days.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
GAD!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Having spent a former career in aircraft maintenance, I completely concur with 3584ELK's comments--nothing to do with where, all to do with how well. Just because its overseas does not mean it isn't done correctly. And I find the article to have a racist tone, suggesting that if the mechanic doesn't speak English then they aren't capable of proper repairs: Bullshit! These facilities have sprung up around the world because the demand can not be met economically nor logistically here in the US.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Having spent a former career in aircraft maintenance, I completely concur with 3584ELK's comments--nothing to do with where, all to do with how well. Just because its overseas does not mean it isn't done correctly. And I find the article to have a racist tone, suggesting that if the mechanic doesn't speak English then they aren't capable of proper repairs: Bullshit! These facilities have sprung up around the world because the demand can not be met economically nor logistically here in the US.

Eloquently stated, sir!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plus, the lazy millennials, or whatever we're supposed to call them, don't want real jobs that include labor. They want to sit in an air-conditioned cubicle and play video games rather than do real work. There are tons of jobs begging for employees that have no takers in the States.

Agree with your take on the article. Still, I'd rather not have maintenance done in El Salvador. Lots of heavy C-checks are done in Singapore and I'd trust them more than the places mentioned in the article.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
quote:

Plus, the lazy millennials, or whatever we're supposed to call them, don't want real jobs that include labor. They want to sit in an air-conditioned cubicle and play video games rather than do real work. There are tons of jobs begging for employees that have no takers in the States.

Agree with your take on the article. Still, I'd rather not have maintenance done in El Salvador. Lots of heavy C-checks are done in Singapore and I'd trust them more than the places mentioned in the article.

Question. If the maintenance manuals are written in English, the language of aviation, how can you do reliable maintenance without under standing the
process ? Obviously didn't help here. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, clicked on the wrong image.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question. If the maintenance manuals are written in English, the language of aviation, how can you do reliable maintenance without under standing the
process ? Obviously didn't help here.

There's a lot of hope and prayer when it comes to aviation. I would much rather have my neighbor do the work (he's a airline mechanic) than any guy or gal anywhere else in the world. Still, I've met great mechanics in Taipei, Beijing, Penang, and Dubai and many other places around the world.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
One of the issues with maintenance is that the engines change so much. Air New Zealand did all their own engine maintenance while we were flying the CF6-50s and similar sized engines on the 747s, etc. all the way through the CF6-80s

Then GE introduced the GE NX engine and now the Leap engine we were looking at $$$ for all new engine tooling and all of our engine stands and dollies and even the shop cranes would have to be replaced to handle the bigger engines.

Financially it was a no win situation so now all of our engine and heavy frame maintenance is all farmed out overseas.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote