New
Find
Notify
Tools

The other point of view
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just like any law enforcement agency, in my opinion, Game wardens have too much power given to them by overzealous/feel good politicians in the name of looking/feeling good.
I don't know what to think of it.
I can see their point of view and our point of view and somehow I get the feeling everytime I run into game warden, I feel like I'm being questioned and scrutinized like I'm doing something wrong.
No small talk, no smiles. just like those robots in futuristic movies.
What did we come to nowadays?
Where is the sense of working together instead of working against each other?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Differences of points of view definitely, over the 45 years or so I have been hunting I have only ran into 2 maybe 3 GW's that acted any where close to your description.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had an encounter with a Conservation Officer who wasn't pleasant to deal with.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Promotion based on charges and convictions gives us our fish cop mentality. I have had very few (2) encounters with them in the field that were professional. I have had 9 encounters that were damn unpleasant if not completely outrageous. FYI I have never been charged, ticketed or even warned by any of them.
I have heard that many of them are failed wannabe cops. There may be something to this, but maybe not.

Posts: 1946 | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My encounters have been quite mixed. I know and understand that they have a job to do, but the attitude and CS mentality needs to go. When I'm being towed in due to boat problems w/ a 7 yr old boy and 2 Lab puppies on board, I would think they have better things to do than a full check and never offer a word of help much less crappy attitude. I told myself that was my last CS encounter w/o me taking names and causing problems up the chain of command. Enough is enough.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every state has different training. Here in Montana, what I hear is BATF/FBI training.
And it shows. I'm not the only one. I hear the attitude from everyone of my friends.
They are even warranted to give DUI ticket/arrest
I know , they have job to do, but the way they conduct themselves is inexcusable, period.
Aren't they people like rest of us?
The " if you give your freedom for security, you deserve neither " rings true every time.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never recieved a citation for a game law violation.

I have had dealings with many game wardens. Very few where pleasant. Mostly state wardens treating me like some sort of criminal. The two times I have dealt with federal game wardens where pleasant and congenial.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several field encounters with game wardens, in a few different states. All have been positive. One in Wyoming gave me directions to a ranch I had hunted years earlier. Another, after checking our licenses in a very polite manner, offered to take a picture of my brother and me with his first antelope.
In Wisconsin I have been checked many times and have always been treated courteously. I also know from my job that for every ticket a warden writes there are usually several he doesn't, choosing instead to give a verbal warning.

These folks have a job most of would not like. They have to spend most of the hunting season working, rarely being able to hunt themselves. Many, if not most, of their encounters with the public are in relatively isolated places, usually without any backup, dealing with someone who is armed.
Does that mean they are all great folks and always polite? No. We all have off days, and not all members of all professions should be in them. But I like dealing with wardens. And they can be a great source of information about where to hunt and fish!

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
These folks have a job most of would not like. They have to spend most of the hunting season working, rarely being able to hunt themselves. Many, if not most, of their encounters with the public are in relatively isolated places, usually without any backup, dealing with someone who is armed. Does that mean they are all great folks and always polite? No. We all have off days, and not all members of all professions should be in them. But I like dealing with wardens. And they can be a great source of information about where to hunt and fish!

The above has been my experience, along with the attitude the person being approached by a GMO or any LEO for that matter. I have just known/met/seen and talked to a lot of folks during my hunting career and just daily life that for whatever reason have a real deep seated problem dealing with LEO's of any kind.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Just like any law enforcement agency, in my opinion, Game wardens have too much power given to them by overzealous/feel good politicians in the name of looking/feeling good.
I don't know what to think of it.
I can see their point of view and our point of view and somehow I get the feeling everytime I run into game warden, I feel like I'm being questioned and scrutinized like I'm doing something wrong.
No small talk, no smiles. just like those robots in futuristic movies.
What did we come to nowadays?
Where is the sense of working together instead of working against each other?

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36539 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, maybe we should just do away with Game Wardens completely and let hunters and fishermen police their own ranks?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No...but they (all LEOs) should be taught that they serve at the will of the people for the people and are not Gestapo. Politeness, social etiquette, and respect are definitely lacking in many I have encountered and I even have a good friend who one. Like JTex...never had a ticket but have definitely been inconvenienced and irritated by a few.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36539 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I am, the truck used to say "XX Fish and Game" and now says "Law Enforcement" "K9" and carries a full auto M14 as backup to his Glock. I have seen this repeated over and over in the ranks of those whom used to serve us now see their selves as lords over us. Their dress, manner and arms reflect the change.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No...but they (all LEOs) should be taught that they serve at the will of the people for the people and are not Gestapo. Politeness, social etiquette, and respect are definitely lacking in many I have encountered and I even have a good friend who one.

Yes Sir!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no first hand experience with Montana Game Wardens. All I can go by is the TV show they have, and I have to say they seem like real hard asses compared to Alaska, Maine and the ones I run into in the south.

Some of the violations they write people up for are crazy. Everything is $135.00 They have some bizarre laws up there, it no wonder people get confused.

Posts: 406 | Registered: 17 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post