New
Find
Notify
Tools

The other point of view
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most game wardens I've encountered were fine folks. I've hunted with a few.

Unlike JTEX, with one exception, my only problems have been with the Feds, not the state guys. Fortunately, that one state game warden, who was notorious for being an obnoxious ass, has retired.

And most of the Feds are good guys too. I can remember having to give one a bit of an education on the difference between a snow and a "dark" goose in the case of juvenile blues. I have to say, he was resistant, but ultimately came around.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though LEO's of any kind should treat each contact with a citizen on its own merits, just like citizens, it is hard to not go into a contact situation and not have how the last contact played out.

It is really difficult for regular citizens to put an unpleasant contact with another person out of their minds that easy.

Yes some folks should not be LEO's, but many citizens should not be jerks when confronted by an LEO. Many citizens simply will not admit it, but they do not want an LEO of any kind making contact with them, yet they want the laws enforced.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is just another consequence of the militarization of all law enforcement in America.
Officer O'Malley walking a neighborhood beat has been replaced by someone who more and more looks and acts like a soldier in hostile territory. Game cops, too.
That being said, at least here in South Dakota, my encounters have been friendly and courteous. We are a bit behind the times, and that's OK by me.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Game wardens are just like the rest of us. Some are having a good day and some are not. Over the last 20 or so years, the Conservation Officer job has changed greatly. Twenty years ago COs were more like friendly referees. But after a spate of COs were killed in the line of duty, their training was upgraded to the point that they were now armed and required to attend the State's Post academy. They also were given full peace officer status and required to enforce all state laws.

Now, COs are more likely to treat you as a state trooper would on a traffic stop. It is an unfortunate sign of our changing times. Two suggestions for all of you. The first, if you are contacted, smile say hello and be friendly and open. Secondly, get a hold of your local GW or CO and ask to spend the day with him as ride along during hunting season. It will give you a chance to see his job from his perspective and also for him to get some feedback from an interested hunter. That's a win-win for both.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Warden show, yes that is what we deal with, but they know they are on the camera so you can only imagine what they can be like when camera is not there.
My whole point here is, there is no reason to treat hunters like criminals and act like asses
I think we are all better then that
They have to realize, they will be scrutinized for every move they make because they carry guns and they can use them in situations where regular citizens would be thrown in prison for acting the same way
Power corrupts and we see that every day

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
because they carry guns

Yes, they carry guns, and they are also the ONLY LEO's that know going in that they are normally dealing with a person or camp full of people that are ALSO carrying guns!

Often they do so without any backup readily available.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right CHC, maybe I'm more biased because I grew up in Comunism and have seen how cops can get completely out of hand
I probably will never change, because I see the same tendencies right here.
Yes I agree cops are needed, but they also need to be checked and balanced more then any other profession, because of their power over life and death

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're right CHC, maybe I'm more biased because I grew up in Comunism and have seen how cops can get completely out of handI probably will never change, because I see the same tendencies right here.Yes I agree cops are needed, but they also need to be checked and balanced more then any other profession, because of their power over life and death

No, I am not right, I just view things from a different angle.

Game Wardens/GMO's/Conservation Officers, regardless of how people want to refer to them face situations that regular LEO's do not face, the main one being that under normal circumstances, when they make contact with people it is usually under a situation where those people are armed.

I guess I have been lucky during the almost 5 decades I have been hunting, my interactions with Game Wardens have been fairly congenial.

They are just doing their job. They are not out there just to jerk people around. How quick would those that find reasons to complain about GMO's would want to see how things would be without them?