New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yup, those wardens are pretty slow.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I noticed that there isn't a lot of action on this new forum, so maybe I can offer an amusing anecdote. Some of you may know that we have a nice mountain here in WA named Mt. Rainier. It is also a National Park. Well, a few years ago a fellow who is a member of a prominent and well-to-do hunting family in WA was pictured with his 6x bull elk on the cover of a local/state hunting publication. Now, I probably have a detail or two wrong, but it shouldn't affect the story all that much.

In the background of the pic was a lot of snow. An employee of the WA Dept of Fish and Wildlife became curious, because he didn't think there was snow during elk season. He circulated the pic in the hopes that someone might recognize the landscape. Well, just as sure as shit stinks, someone did. The scene was clearly and inarguably in the Mt. Rainier National Park.

I don't claim to be totally without sin as to game laws. I may have been one fish over a couple of times, and it is possible that one of my bullets might have intersected the right-of-way on a remote county road. Moreover, I'm confident that the great majority of my fellow AR members respect our game and the laws which protect them. That said, I don't know anyone who has hunted in a national park.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one is poaching one doesn't take pictures or talk about it.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If one is poaching and plans on not getting caught, one doesn't take pictures or talk about it.

There you go, fixed it for you.

In this day and time idiots are constantly posting "selfies" and other photos on FaceBook and other social media sites, with too many fish/over sized-under sized fish or game and all sorts of things that earned them a visit from a GMO and many times a ticket.

Some folks just don't get it, they just have to share with their buddies.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my previous job, I actually made cases on idiots sending photos of themselves with illegally taken fish and/or game and/or fur to monthly magazines, who actually published them.

Have also made felony cases due to idiots posting selfies on various social media pages, with stolen property in the pic.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years back one of our Game and Fish Commissioners "killed" an antelope, Boone and Crockett. When it came out someone else shot it his best buddy swore he was there when it was shot. Only problem was his buddy had a Sheep tag, opened the same day. Oops!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From experience, GMO's don't always adhere to the laws they are sworn and paid to enforce.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first buck with long bow, I got so excited, that when I got home my wife said " Where is the tag? "
OOps, totally forgot.
If got caught, I would have been screwed and nailed to the cross.
I would have been treated like someone who did it on purpose.
My way of looking at game laws?
Way overboard and too draconian, but what do you expect from power hungry politicians and gun wielding law enforcement

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
My first buck with long bow, I got so excited, that when I got home my wife said " Where is the tag? "
OOps, totally forgot.
If got caught, I would have been screwed and nailed to the cross.
I would have been treated like someone who did it on purpose.
My way of looking at game laws?
Way overboard and too draconian, but what do you expect from power hungry politicians and gun wielding law enforcement

Boarkiller,

Please explain how a LEO would know what your intentions were regarding the untagged buck. Would you expect him to take your word for it? I have issued somewhere around 150 tag citations in 32 years as a F&G employee. The most common excuse I heard was "Oh damn, I forgot!" Never once did any one say "Well you got me. I didn't tag it because I wanted to shoot another one on this tag."

Had I stopped you under the conditions you described I also would have cited you. But, I would have done it with a smile on my face. Smiler

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are reasons we have game laws and reasons why we have people hired to enforce those laws.

You either obey the laws or you don't. It is funny how many people that consider themselves law abiding citizens feel that they should be allowed to slide because they left their tag at home, while someone that didn't even bother to obtain a tag should be tarred and feathered, both broke the law.

I have dealt with GW's over the years that nearly all have fell into one of two classes as far as doing their job was concerned, those that operated under the Letter Of The Law, and those that operated under the Intent Of The Law.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC is correct in that some COs follow the letter of the law and others the spirit of the law. It is an ongoing debate amongst COs. The letter of the law group believe that it is the judges job to determine the degree of guilt and that they shouldn't usurp the judges authority. For the spirit of the law group, it is the end result that is most important. What ever will keep the violation from happening again is of most importance. In Idaho, the departments policy was issue a warning instead of a citation if it is more likely to accomplish future compliance with the law. I operated in that manner and can't think of a time when my supervisor ever second guessed my decision.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That has always been my point
with any authorities, you jump down people's throat and you create more problems instead of compliance
It's like that from school days, you punish kid from get go instead of working with them, they will more likely try to do it again just for hell of it.
I think it all has to do with Thing called Freedom and that is something any of the Law should always consider being cops, judges or just people in power.
Because everyone once I awhile breaks law.
That is why there always been revolutions, uprisings etc
Laws got to be too draconian
One mans hero, another mans terrorist

“ Hávamál”