New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ivory burn
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great, increase the ivory shortage, make the stuff more valuable so poachers will try harder. Value of that could have done wonders in a Third World African like Kenya. What a waste.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It helps balance the stock take, simple.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Does anyone really know if this is REAL ivory being burnt??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66913 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be very naïve, but that looks like a WHOLE lot of work being undertaken to "fake" a burn like that. Where would you even get fake elephant ivories like all those in the film? I guess there are sources, but to me, where is the market? If you shoot a tuskless, there are no ivories to bring back, and if you pay for a tusker, who in the heck leaves the ivory over there and pays for imitation to put into their house as "showpieces"?

Just makes no sense to me...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was an old guy at my trout club who used to carve wooden ivory for a taxidermist so the owner could have a head mount and door frame ivory from the same elephant. Stranger things have happened.

I still have a hard time understanding that 30,000 ivory carrying phunts are illegally killed each year in Africa. To keep them off the extinction list, how many breeding phunts would be required to allow that many illegal phunts?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post