New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burro "Poaching"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm not sure how an introduced feral animal rises above the level of value of native animals, but the amount of vitriol expressed by the organizations involved seems to validate that. Strange how Natural Resource agencies used to remove feral animals - and now side with HSUS to protect them.

Gotta love the quote "Either all donkeys matter or none of them do."

I know this is an emotional issue - not a logical issue. Kinda like Cecil the lion...

I'm not condoning this action, just shaking my head at the strange bedfellows.

https://www.blm.gov/press-rele...ions-increase-reward

BLM PARTNERS WITH ANIMAL WELFARE ORGANIZATIONS TO INCREASE REWARD
An anonymous donor behind The Platero Project, and additional groups pledge reward money for tips leading to the arrest and conviction of killers of wild burros from the Clark Mountain Herd Area
A pair of wild burros eating vegetation in the California desert. Photo by the BLM.Thanks to substantial new pledges from several conservation and animal welfare organizations, the reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the deaths of 42 wild burros from the Clark Mountain Herd Area in California has now risen to almost $60,000.

This week, the The Platero Project committed $32,500 towards the reward, along with The Humane Society of the United States ($2,500), Lifesavers Wild Horse Rescue ($2,500) and Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue ($2,500). The new pledges join those of the Bureau of Land Management ($10,000), the American Wild Horse Campaign ($2,500), Return To Freedom ($5,000) and The Cloud Foundation ($1,000). Combined with the new pledges, the total reward is now $58,000.

Since May, a total of 42 wild burro carcasses with gunshot wounds have been found along the Interstate 15 corridor between Halloran Springs, California, and Primm, Nevada, in various states of decomposition. They are all from the Clark Mountain Herd Area in San Bernardino County, managed by the BLM’s Needles Field Office. Bureau of Land Management law enforcement is leading the rapidly expanding investigation into the illegal killings, in coordination with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, California Highway Patrol and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.

“I appreciate these organizations joining us in our pursuit to identify the perpetrators who are responsible for these appalling and senseless acts,” said Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt. “We are working with law enforcement and are determined to find those who are responsible, bringing them to justice.”

“With the increasing reward now on the table, we’re confident that someone will come forward with actionable information soon. The cruelty involved in shooting these burros and leaving them to die warrants prosecution to the fullest extent of the law,” said BLM’s Deputy Director for Policy and Programs William Perry Pendley. “We thank the animal welfare groups for adding their voices to those organizations who value these iconic symbols of the West.”

“The investigation into the California burro killings has generated additional interest and support from animal welfare groups and BLM partners. We’re hopeful the publicity will result in good leads for our investigators to follow,” said BLM California Acting State Director Joe Stout. “We are grateful for all the support.”

“The murders of the Mojave Desert Burros must be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Burros have been forgotten and underrepresented in the equine rights conversations. Burros must be given a prominent voice and enhanced status and protection on the range,” said the Platero Project in a statement.

“The senseless slaying of these wild burros is deeply disturbing, and anyone who is capable of this level of violence must be held accountable,” said CEO and president of the Humane Society of the United States Kitty Block. “Together with the BLM and other organizations we are calling for swift justice for these heinous and indefensible crimes against animals, and we are particularly grateful to the Platero Project for contributing significantly to the reward fund.”

“Lifesavers Wild Horse Rescue has been saving mustangs and burros since 1997,” said Founder and Executive Director of Lifesavers Wild Horse Rescue Jill Starr. “The public should know that wild horses and burros are protected by law and those who abuse and/or kill them can and should go to jail. Lifesavers' mission compels us to contribute to the reward. We hope it will invite information leading to the arrest and conviction of the cowardly person(s) who mercilessly shot and killed these precious burros. Somebody knows something and money talks.”

"Either all donkeys matter or none of them do," said Executive Director of Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue Mark Meyers.

Anyone with information about this investigation is asked to call the WeTip hotline at 800-78CRIME (800-782-7463) or visit http://www.wetip.com. Callers may remain anonymous and be eligible for a reward for information leading to the arrest(s) and conviction(s) of any person(s) responsible for the deaths of these protected animals. More information on the rewards offered by the conservation and animal welfare organizations can be found on the organizations’ websites.

The animals are federally protected under the Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act of 1971. The Act protects wild, free-roaming horses and burros from capture, branding, harassment, or death; and considers them an integral part of the natural system of public lands managed by the BLM. Anyone arrested and found guilty of willfully violating a regulation issued pursuant to this Act, shall be subject to a fine of not more than $2,000, or imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. These penalties can apply to each count charged.

Posts: 434 | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny how they can wipe out a herd of mule deer on Santa Rosa Island because they were not native, but will go to extraordinary lengths to protect invasive, i.e. non indigenous burros and horses. Stupid is as stupid does.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they should be rounding them up and selling them to the Chinese.

http://www.freerepublic.com/fo...f-chat/3776830/posts

Growing demand for donkey meat and skin in China is causing a sharp decline in the animals in Kenya. Animal rights campaigners warn that donkeys could soon disappear in the east African country, where they play a vital role as beasts of burden, especially in rural areas. Since 2014, four abattoirs have been set up in Kenya to meet demand. The meat is considered a delicacy in China and the skins are processed to create ejiao, a traditional remedy used to treat everything from anaemia to dizziness. However, according to a recent report by the African Network for Animal Welfare...

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of pragmatic, common sense solutions to problems, but so long as the Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act of 1971 provides legal protection to feral equines, it can't happen.

I understand people's love for horses and burros, but we should use scientific principles or agricultural best management practices to manage livestock on public lands.

Posts: 434 | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked in the Yuma, AZ area for a while in the 80s. The feral horses and burros did more damage to the desert bighorn sheep habitat and water sources than anything else. We could do nothing about the horses and burros because they are protected by federal law. Some of the locals poached burros and would cook them by burying them over coals in a pit. They claim it tasted just like good beef. Keeping horses and burros as livestock is fine but they do not fit in the ecosystem as wildlife.

Posts: 772 | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Acer:
I'm a big fan of pragmatic, common sense solutions to problems, but so long as the Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act of 1971 provides legal protection to feral equines, it can't happen.

I understand people's love for horses and burros, but we should use scientific principles or agricultural best management practices to manage livestock on public lands.

Yup, we have the same problem here. Unfortunately, emotionalism around horses is high and the extremists sidetrack any attempt to deal with feral horses in a rational way.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is just part of the BLM industry. People make good money managing wild animals whether indigenous game animals or feral animals.

Just part of job security.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its all politics from Washington and Ivory towers..to hell with the deer, elk, sheep and goats, lets protect animals that ranchers turned loose and we call them Mustangs and wild burros, they are feral from years back..Its a Lie..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
During the 1970's I worked on the burro/bighorn sheep study in the Grand Canyon National Park and They might as well add another letter A for ass to all the other privileged protected groups
LGBTQA

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
IN the meantime hundreds maybe thousands of horses are in pens waiting to be sold at $25.00 in some cases, the catch is your paying the bill with your taxes at a tidy sum of $250,000.00 per day last count I read, and that's just for feed..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post