THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Conservation  Hop To Forums  Record Of Poaching    Montana man fined for offense on Alaska hunt with Wade Boggs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana man fined for offense on Alaska hunt with Wade Boggs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) — A Montana man has been ordered to pay a $3,000 fine after pleading guilty to federal wildlife violations while leading former Boston Red Sox third baseman Wade Boggs on a 2009 sheep hunt in Alaska.

Tuesday's plea agreement by Jason Kummerfeldt, 45, of Billings, Montana, completed the 16th and final case against employees and clients of a now-closed Anchorage guiding business, Fair Chase Hunts, authorities said. Kummerfeldt also was ordered not to hunt or accompany hunters for six months.

Kummerfeldt was an assistant guide when he took Boggs on a hunt in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in August 2009, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported (http://is.gd/3KkW90 ).

The main objective in Boggs' hunt was Dall sheep, but he also voiced interest in shooting a bull caribou, according to a sentencing memorandum filed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen Cooper.

Kummerfeldt and the main guide, Christopher Cassidy, incorrectly assured Boggs he didn't need to buy a nonresident caribou tag until after he successfully shot an animal, authorities said. After the hunt, Cassidy sold Boggs the tag, authorities said.

Boggs wrote a personal check to Cassidy with the correct date on it, and Cassidy backdated the tag to a date before the hunt, authorities said.

Boggs was not charged.

Cassidy was among those who pleaded guilty earlier. Defendants also included Joe Hendricks, the owner of Fair Chase Hunts and a master guide who died in November. Hendricks was sentenced in 2012 to five years of probation and a $125,000 fine.

Altogether, fines have totaled $273,000 for at least 116 documented violations of laws, including the Lacey Act, which combats illegal trafficking in wildlife, plants and the like. Two grizzly bears, four Dall sheep, one caribou and one rifle have been forfeited, prosecutors said.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, my guess is Bogg's was not short on cash. Why would you do something so stupid? No need to break the law.
For Bogg's, why would you believe you could buy the tag later. It's always pay for play! That's why it is called hunting.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I AGREE, IF YOU HUNTED JUST ONE SEASON AND WeNT TO HUNTERS SAFETY CLASS, ONE THING IS ALWAYS MADE CLEAR, BUY TAG BEFORE YOU HUNT.
Why would professionals like Fair Case hunts do something like this and jeopardize their own business well being is beyond me.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post