Find
Notify
Tools

Moose Poacher busted
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...0-sentenced-to-jail/

An Alaska man who poached three moose and left most of the meat to rot has been sentenced to nine months in jail and fined more than $100,000.

Rusty Counts, 39, of Anchor Point, shot the moose near the town over two weeks in September. He pleaded guilty Nov. 6 to 21 misdemeanor wildlife counts and violations, including wanton waste, exceeding bag limits and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Hunting regulations near the Kenai Peninsula community require moose to have antlers measuring 50 inches across to be harvested. None of the three moose had the required spread, said Aaron Peterson, an assistant attorney general who prosecuted the case.

"The working theory is that he realized they were sublegal and decided not to stick around to salvage the meat," Peterson said Monday. He called the case one of the most egregious poaching events ever seen by Alaska state wildlife troopers.

Alaska officials take seriously the harvesting of moose and salvaging of meat, Alaska Department of Fish and Game spokesman Ken Marsh said.

A bull moose can weigh up to 1,600 pounds and feed a family for months with meat free of chemicals and hormones. A successful hunt is also a source of pride, Marsh said.

"It's a really important part of our culture and tradition, and people take that seriously," he said.

The case began Sept. 2 with a tip to wildlife troopers that a sublegal moose with antlers of about 45 inches was shot and abandoned. Counts was the suspected shooter, witnesses said.

A second tip came in Sept. 14. A teacher reported a second dead moose shot the day before. The moose had an antler spread of just 25 inches, half the legal requirement. The teacher recognized one of the hunters, a former student, with an adult.

Troopers interviewed the boy, who is Counts' nephew. He confirmed that his uncle had shot the two moose plus a third with a 26-inch antler spread on Sept. 7 when he was not with his uncle. Both hunters left their rifles in the woods Sept. 13 to avoid being caught, the boy said.

Troopers interviewed Counts, and he admitted shooting the three moose.

Jeff Selinger, a Department of Fish and Game wildlife biologist in Soldotna, said the 50-inch antler requirement extends the hunting season and protects younger mature moose, ensuring that they will be around for future breeding.

Hunters can educate themselves on determining a legal moose by reading regulations and watching department videos. If there's doubt, Sellinger recommends passing up the shot.

"You're going to pass up some legal moose doing that, but you're not going to shoot a sublegal moose," he said.

Peterson backed the hefty penalties for Counts as a deterrent to others. If Counts had salvaged meat from the first moose, he likely would have been penalized for a single hunting violation.

"That meat goes to shelters, food banks. It goes to people who need it," Peterson said. "Instead, we have three bull moose that fully go to waste."

Counts was fined $97,650 and ordered to pay $3,000 in restitution. He forfeited his rifle and an all-terrain vehicle and was sentenced to 270 days in jail.

“If you do the right thing in the field, this kind of thing doesn’t happen. But if you poach and leave moose, these are the appropriate sanctions, in the state’s view,” Peterson said.

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just how and how long will it take them
to collect that amount?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey George. they might never collect it, but will try and six months in the pokey going to get their attention. And the state can go after his check from work (if he does),for as long as he works.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to know more about these chemicals and hormones in meat. Keep it in your lane Mr. Marsh.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
I want to know more about these chemicals and hormones in meat. Keep it in your lane Mr. Marsh.

That would be your typical feed lot beef approved by the gbmnt packaged in cellophane sold at an overinflated price at your local supermarket

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incorrect, but nice try. Do you realize the same hormonal cycle occurs in all of us? What chemicals are injected into them? What hormones? I actually know of a few that are used since I’m a veterinarian, but I’m not gonna do your homework for you.

I think it’s the lowest thing on this planet to wantonly take an animal. But don’t use it as a political agenda stepping stone.

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Incorrect, but nice try. Do you realize the same hormonal cycle occurs in all of us? What chemicals are injected into them? What hormones? I actually know of a few that are used since I’m a veterinarian, but I’m not gonna do your homework for you.

I think it’s the lowest thing on this planet to wantonly take an animal. But don’t use it as a political agenda stepping stone.

How about the antibiotics that are fed to feedlot animals as part of their feed mix?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antibiotics are not hormones. Every single antibiotic or medicine an animal receives has a withdrawal time before that animal can be slaughtered for consumption. Veterinary Feed Directives must be in place for an animal to receive any medication in a feed ration. The VFD must be issued to treat a condition in an animal or group of animals. There is a still a withdrawal time on these to ensure that residues are not present in tissues of the animal at time of slaughter, or in milk.

Despite what media tells you, there is no "hormones and antibiotics" in your meat or milk, other than what is there naturally. It's proven science. If you don't want to eat commercially produced meat, or meat that has been treated medically, and want "organic", all natural, whatever the buzz word of the week is, that's your prerogative. But that doesn't mean that it's better for you.

posted Hide Post
Always made me laugh when I hear of hormones in your beef. How much would that cost per head? What farmer is going to pay for it? Pure BS.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't condone what the man did. Glad to see he was caught and had to pay. I also don't agree with a 50" law. Is a hunter going to go out and measure and then go back and shoot? Sure if it's way under, a hunter would know, but knowing it's 50"? How is that determined on the hoof?

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I don't condone what the man did. Glad to see he was caught and had to pay. I also don't agree with a 50" law. Is a hunter going to go out and measure and then go back and shoot? Sure if it's way under, a hunter would know, but knowing it's 50"? How is that determined on the hoof?

9" eyeball to eyeball, & the guy was a felon from calif. With a little show & tell & experience even most Texans can figure it out.
tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

This is why many states have a requirement that non residents hire guides. The purpose is to protect the wildlife. Not to employ guides .

Alaska does not have that requirement for moose

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4191 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also don't agree with a 50" law. Is a hunter going to go out and measure and then go back and shoot? Sure if it's way under, a hunter would know, but knowing it's 50"? How is that determined on the hoof?

This somehow reminds me of the 6 year old law related to Lion.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Antibiotics are not hormones. Every single antibiotic or medicine an animal receives has a withdrawal time before that animal can be slaughtered for consumption. Veterinary Feed Directives must be in place for an animal to receive any medication in a feed ration. The VFD must be issued to treat a condition in an animal or group of animals. There is a still a withdrawal time on these to ensure that residues are not present in tissues of the animal at time of slaughter, or in milk.

Despite what media tells you, there is no "hormones and antibiotics" in your meat or milk, other than what is there naturally. It's proven science. If you don't want to eat commercially produced meat, or meat that has been treated medically, and want "organic", all natural, whatever the buzz word of the week is, that's your prerogative. But that doesn't mean that it's better for you.

It's not what goes into the cow while it's alive that is scary, it's what is put into the meat during and after the butchering process.

For example; In 2000, federal officials were struggling to remove potentially deadly E. coli from hamburgers when an innovative company from South Dakota came up with a novel idea: injecting beef with ammonia. Ammonia is a colorless gas with a characteristic pungent smell that is used in many commercial cleaning products. Although in wide use, ammonia is both caustic and hazardous. The company, Beef Products Inc., had been looking to expand into the hamburger business with a product made from beef that included fatty trimmings the industry once relegated to pet food and cooking oil. The trimmings were particularly susceptible to contamination, but a study commissioned by the company showed that the ammonia process would kill E. coli as well as salmonella.

Officials at the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) endorsed the company's ammonia treatment, and have said it destroys E. coli "to an undetectable level." They decided it was so effective that in 2007, when the department began routine testing of meat used in hamburger sold to the general public, they exempted Beef Products.

Or how about Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and Nitrogen? All approved by the FDA as a way to keep meats looking fresher. Mmmmm, sounds yummy doesn't it.

I almost never eat fast food and all of our beef in our house comes from our own cows. Same with the Lamb, Goat and Chicken/Eggs we eat, all raised on our farm.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ammonia thing is old hat, used in trimmings (potentially non-edible) to preserve and render it. Animal renderings aren't just used for food. And yes, any ground meat is highly susceptible to bacterial pathogens. Which is why you cook it. The cooking not necessarily kills bacteria but renders the toxins ineffective through heat.
Further Reading
Carbon Monoxide - very, very, small part of the normal air we breath. Inert gas. Only reason it is toxic to humans is that it more readily binds to the hemeprotein than oxygen, blocking oxygen transport via red blood cells.

Carbon Dioxide - our body produces it, not harmful unless you breath concentrated CO2.

Nitrogen - the air we breathe is 78% Nitrogen.

Kudos to producing your own meat, wish I had the means to do the same.