THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Price Check pre-64 m70 Custom
 Login/Join
 
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to get my books out, which are 300 miles away, but I think the PRE64 375 HH action is no longer than the 30/06 action.

The action is “opened up” to accommodate the full length HH case.

The current long action did not become standard for the Model 70 until the demise of the PRE64.
 
Posts: 2529 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
thirdbite
So what did it sell for at auction?


I know it is easy, but then of course I am not the one that has to do it.

 
Posts: 3809 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I would have to get my books out, which are 300 miles away, but I think the PRE64 375 HH action is no longer than the 30/06 action.

The action is “opened up” to accommodate the full length HH case.

The current long action did not become standard for the Model 70 until the demise of the PRE64.

Yes, they are all the same length - just opened up for H&H cartridges and longer magazine box.
 
Posts: 874 | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
thirdbite
So what did it sell for at auction?

I think it sold for $4,000, but there is some engraving that can't be seen in the pic. No way of knowing what that added to the price. Also built by a known maker. Wasn't a magnum action and didn't have Sunny Hill bottom metal. So it really isn't comparable but posted because it looked much like the rifle about which I was inquiring.
 
Posts: 874 | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I would have to get my books out, which are 300 miles away, but I think the PRE64 375 HH action is no longer than the 30/06 action.

The action is “opened up” to accommodate the full length HH case.

The current long action did not become standard for the Model 70 until the demise of the PRE64.

Yes, they are all the same length - just opened up for H&H cartridges and longer magazine blocks. I think the current M70 long actions are the same and are opened for 375 abd 416.


I am pretty sure the current model 70 is longer than the pre64. I am pretty sure this became the standard after USRA took over. I will have to look up the date. The USRA onward model 70 can go up to 3.6 COAL.

I think the spacing from tang action screw to action screw behind the recoil lug is 7 5/8 inches.
 
Posts: 2529 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the spacing for the pre-64 is 7.45" The pre-64 was opened up by the factory for 3.6" cartridge. I think you're right about the current production being longer.
 
Posts: 874 | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good conversation, I only bring it up die to the OP reference to “original magnum length.”

You are obviously right on the PRE64 digesting 3.6 with box modification and opening up hence 375 HH.

I feel I have this in books. Worst case I will measure as I have examples of all.
 
Posts: 2529 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thirdbite,
I build my own for myself, and I have 3 338s at this time, I might trade you a couple of rifles for that one however..If interested PM me and I'll tell you what I have.


Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
 
Posts: 35604 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


Copyright December 1997-2020 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia