THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price Check pre-64 m70 Custom
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone give me estimated value of a custom pre-64 Winchester M70 338 Win. Mag. on an original H&H length magnum action? Fancy English walnut classic stock, very nice wraparound checkering 24 lpi that is as good as I've seen, shadow line cheekpiece, steel grip cap, Sunny Hill 3.6" magazine bottom metal so that bullets can be seated long, and all very well done by a known regional gunsmith. I've seen pre-64 magnum actions alone for approx. $1,000 w/o custom bottom metal, so I'm thinking maybe $2,000-2,500, but really don't know. Thanks in advance

Posts: 874 | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM send for pix....I'll post 'em for you.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think is worth $1250 on a good day. Give me your address and I will send funds and FFL information. :-)

Posts: 60 | Registered: 22 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
As we Red Sox fans often say, we need pitchers.

Mike

An ounce of experience is worth a pound of theory.

Posts: 10529 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't provide a picture at this time, but this is very similar to the rifle I described, except the one described doesn't have ribbon checkering and has Sunny Hill Oberdorf style bottom metal. Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have been paying attention here you will have notice.

That many "custom rifles" sell for far less then their build price.

Even when their maker is will known.

Knowing who did work, barrel maker ect well help your case.

You mention the action price alone when buying a action one doesn't have to take a rifle apart to get it.

Parts many times are worth more then the whole object.

Depending on how bad you want to sell it.

Price right it will sell to high and it will sit for a long time.

Posts: 15537 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Posts: 875 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
If you have been paying attention here you will have notice.

That many "custom rifles" sell for far less then their build price.

Even when their maker is will known.

Knowing who did work, barrel maker ect well help your case.

You mention the action price alone when buying a action one doesn't have to take a rifle apart to get it.

Parts many times are worth more then the whole object.

Depending on how bad you want to sell it.

Price right it will sell to high and it will sit for a long time.

I'm obviously well aware of those things. The rifle is not currently for sale nor am I able currently to get pics.
I was just hoping for ideas as to range of value . I'm sure most of us look at guns on a regular basis and make judgments about their price. I perhaps naively hoped to tap that knowledge and experience

one of us
posted Hide Post
What I said is just part of the consideration in the pricing.

With out pictures knowledge of the smith ect pricing is real hard

Posts: 15537 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand. I'm not certain of the maker, but if it is who I think it might be, the name would mean nothing to most. The picture I posted is nearly identical to the rifle I described. The pictured rifle, by the way, was valued and sold at auction without any mention of the maker.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO, and Ive sold a number of them, that nice rifle should fetch you about $2750.00 top dollar, $2200 on a quicker sale, but don't get in a hurry to sell it at top price..just list it and wait until it sells...Its a very nice rifle, and a real nice stick of wood..Keep in mind its not a completely custom rifle in that its basically a factory pre 64 with a custom stock, perhaps a custom barrel?? if so that would help, but in a great caliber that brings a premium as a .338 Alaskan???..Some questions need to be answered as to what additions it has..but Im pretty close as to a picture, in hand it might fetch a couple of hundred more, bottom metal, barrel, sights, any additions could jump it up to $3000 I suspect. Based on not having the gun in hand, and sometimes that changes the picture to hell and back..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 35500 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much agree with $2K or a bit more - assuming that the photo is a true representation.

Mike

An ounce of experience is worth a pound of theory.

Posts: 10529 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray and Mike. There's nothing to detract from the rifle and it does have a custom bbl (I think Douglas). Your estimates are pretty close to what I was thinking - maybe around $2250. The long magnum action and Sunny Hill bottom metal with 3.6" magazine I would think should add some value, especially to someone like you, Ray.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems as though this confirms the fact that customs can't start to compete with factory originals in terms of holding value. This is a prime example: we're all probably aware of the what factory original pre-64 M70s in .375 bring. When you consider the quality of wood, checkering, bluing, etc, etc, etc there's no comparison, but the numbers don't lie.

Posts: 176 | Registered: 08 January 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally true, unless it has special provenance - users vs collectors.