Notify
Tools

How to build a running moose range?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
Hi all

Years ago I had the pleasure of shooting running moose targets in Sweden. I never really looked at the target set up, and regret that now. Can anyone point me to photos or a description of the running gear for a running moose target? Id like to understand the detail of whats involved to make this work.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been looking for a vendor in the US f or a while with no joy. In France and Sweden there are 2-3 vendors each.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a youngster growing up in Pennsylvania (circa 1950)one of the local trap ranges had a running deer range set up that was very simple.

It was essentially an earthen barrier about 2 meters high with about a 30 meter opening bull-dozed in the center. Behind each end they had built a simple pulley system that used metal cables to hold the target - the target was propelled in one of two ways (1) via a motor or (2) they had scavenged an old bicycle that could be pedaled. The metal cable and motor had been recycled from a old coal mine.

At least once a month there would be a shoot where you could put a $1 in the pot for each run of the deer and you could fire as many shots as you could beforeit went out of sight -- the high score would win the majority of the money in the pot with 2nd place taking the rest. A shooter could enter as many times as they liked. During these shoot's for money they always used the bicycle to move the target and whoever was doing the pedaling would try to make the target as difficult as possible by varying the speed during the run.

The shooting was usually from 50 meters and it had to be a center-fire rifle or shotgun using slugs (no semi-auto's allowed) without any restriction on sights - a lot of fun and more realistic than any of the commercial moving target ranges I've ever shot.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The simpl old ones were a rail with a target stand on and a wire with electric motor,automatic stops at the ends. A operator behind a blind controls it, speed (4-6m/s).

Here is a modern one.

http://www.mrtargets.se/index....=59_78&product_id=56

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
I realize this topic is five months old, but I had a chance to shoot running moose targets in Sweden earlier in September, so thought I might post about it in case it is still of interest.

I have a friend who needed to pass the shooting test that qualifies her to hunt moose and other big game. She arranged it so that we would go while I was visiting, and we took turns shooting.

We shot at Öster Malma, a facility owned by Svenska Jägareförbundet - the Swedish hunters'association. There is a whole conference center and more to the shooting facilities, but I only shot the running moose targets and the running hare and badger targets.

The running moose targets are shot from two covered shooting stations attached to the clubhouse:

Viewed from the shooting station, you take one shot at the target while standing still:

I did not measure the distances, but it looks to be about 80 meters distance, and it travels a distance between the two walls of around 20 meters.

After you take your shot, it starts moving and you take one shot running:

It runs behind the wall, then reappears - you then take a shot standing followed by another one running. The four shots form one series; you have nine series total. If I understand correctly, to pass the test, you need to put all four shots in the vitals on at least three of the series.

The moose target is equipped with acoustic sensors that determine the point of impact and there is a display back in shooting station, that shows where you hit:

This facility has two moving target ranges - in the left of the shed, there is the running moose target; on the right are the running hare and badger targets:

The target itself runs on a pair of rails. It appears the rails have been welded to some U-shaped frames which are laid on a prepared gravel bed. The tracks are laid behind a berm so that errant shots won't wreck the rail or carts that carry the targets. I didn't get a good photo of the moose track, but it looks very similar to the running hare and badger target:

Incidentally, the running hare and badger targets are shot with shotguns. The hare and badger are steel; when you shoot, there will be a piece of white cardstock in the square cutout. You have to hit it with eight pellets to count. The metal targets are mounted on a replaceable wood frame - it apparently takes quite a beating.

Back to the moose target - it is driven back and forth with a cable/winding drum that you can see here:

and here:

This photo shows the back of the moose target. The shot out center shows a black rubber mat that must be replaced occasionally - I guess every few hundred shots - as I understand it, there are three microphones attached to the mat that triangulate the position of the point of impact. The company that makes the system is Sius; if you google "Sius Ascor" (Sius acoustic scoring?) you'll find it.

I hope that helps, even if the OP asked five months ago!

Jeff

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Jeff

Thanks for the photos and detail. This is great information. clap clap I particularly appreciate the photos of the tracks and drum.

Back when I shot running mouse, there was no acoustic scoring system. I have shot them in F Class matches and they are great - like seeing every shot through a very high power scope.

If I ever make one, it will be low tech scoring. But I understand running mouse is quite popular in Sweden, so expect the organisers could get through a large group of shooters quite quickly with this approach to scoring.

Thanks again!

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Great. Thanks. I was describing running mouse to my son and he was struggling to visualise the format. It was really good to be able to show it to him in action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what I'm looking for to have at our local club (in the states), does anyone know a vendor here?

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wonderful thread, if seven years old.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The Swedes are a funny lot.

One of the villages close to where we live they hold shooting contests, between the different villages.

It is all shot by 22 rim fire.

Targets are for scores like bulls eye and animals, with a scoring bulls eye on their chests.

I had a bit of fun one shoot, as I shot all my animal targets in the heads!

I got no score, so I complained.

We had a bit of fun, as the scorer would not give me any points.

I asked if the points were supposed to be for a killing shot.

He said yes.

I said my animals are dead too.

He still insisted I get zero!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its because its not recommended to take headshots because it a higher risc to wound the animal, we dont want them to run around with a broken jaw.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
Its because its not recommended to take headshots because it a higher risc to wound the animal, we dont want them to run around with a broken jaw.

My hits were in the brains! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes but it will still not give you any points Swedish hunting ethics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My hits were in the brains!

Swedish moose are liberal, no brain.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nothing like having someone crap on what was an interesting thread.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote