New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle/load question for Spain
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To start with I would like to thank all for input and experience that I may glean from this question. We are scheduled to hunt Spain late Oct. 2022 foe Beceite and Gredos Ibex along with a Mouflon sheep.
My two rifles are a 260 AI for which I load 120-130 grain loads, second is a 7MM Magnum for which I can load 130-160 grain loads. Both are accurate and effective as long as I do my part. Therefore I am conflicted which to take to Spain. I do truly enjoy my 260 AI as it has been my go to meat gun. The 7MM Mag is also a tried and true cartridge.
I will spend my late spring and summer dialing loads to 500+ yards. Have NOT blooded the 7MM Magnum as yet as it has been a safe queen for a few yrs.
I am reaching out to hunters who have experienced this hunt and looking for honest opinions from all. Again, thank you. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be upfront I've never hunted for Spanish Ibex. At SCI I was amazed at how small in body size that they were. I expect that your .260 will do just fine. The only significant advantage to the 7mm would be the ability to buck the wind a bit more. You can get less wind drift with a heavier bullet in either rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to use the .260.
Bruce

Posts: 371 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruce, thanks for the input. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I too have not hunted Spain however I am fortunate to live in a country having free hunting for abundant chamois and tahr and have several decades of experience hunting these animals.

For most of my hunting of these alpine animals and several varieties of deer we also have here I have used a 7mm Magnum (7x61 S&H) with 160gr bullets at 3000fps.

The issue with shooting alpine or high/rough country animals is that when you decide to take a shot at one you want it anchored where you have taken the shot. The sheep and goat type animals are very sure footed in their environment and even if badly and fatally wounded, provided they are still mobile, they have the ability to move away and fall/slide to where they may be impossible to retrieve.

Chamois are a fairly lightly built animal how ever they are often shot in very rugged country and you do not want a wounded one moving away into even rougher country where it becomes impossible to find and retrieve.

So in general I see many who are hunting these sheep and goat animals using the larger calibre magnums which do buck wind and carry good energy to long range targets. A 160gr bullet at 3000fps from a 7mm Magnum or 165gr bullet at similar velocity from a 300 Magnum are about as best you get for long range hard hitting on game.

If you have problems getting your animal then you can't blame the cartridge if using the best.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Ibex are tough. 7 mm will do very well and u will find ammo easily in any gunshop if yours is lost.

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I have hunted several spanish Ibex and had many clients hunt Ibex.

The 260 will work. I would personally prefer the 7mm, just because it has a bit more power.

Ibex are not big in body but they can be tough and the terrain is rough, so better to hit them hard.

Good areas offer many opportunities and you can get close. However often being able to shoot a bit further means a bigger trophy. 500yards is definetly a big advantage!

Best Regards,
Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ibex i shot in Spain I used a .270wsm and a 7mm mag.
.270 is ran 120 metres and 7mm drop on the spot. Both good shots.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the .260 as you already are more familiar with it and are more likely to practice with it.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote