New
Find
Notify
Tools

England and lead
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard England is phasing our lead bullets and shot over a five year period.

True?

Posts: 10826 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I have heard England is phasing our lead bullets and shot over a five year period.

True?

They want to phase it out in 5 years and lead will be allowed for clay shooting while steel is needed for game shooting where birds go into the food chain.

Denmark has used it for years but we are not looking forward to it. Not sure about the status on rifle ammo.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will lead alternatives be permitted like tungsten and Bishsmith?

Is it a done deal?

Thank you.

Posts: 10826 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Will lead alternatives be permitted like tungsten and Bishsmith?

Is it a done deal?

Thank you.

Not a done deal yet i dont think but one cartridge maker here and one shooting organsation pushed for it Confused

In Europe people also hate the plastic shot wads so we need find a fibre load or bio wads which only one maker does ( the one who pushed for a blanket ban)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also steel is £7 per 25 and Bismuth £30 per 25.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you,

Hunt

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I’m not opposed to lead but been shooting non lead for years and I’m impressed and happy as no fragments in meat parts and no issues with wounding unless I make bad shot
Also I s8mply shoot things within 100 yards and that helps with accuracy...why shoot long distance when you can sneak close and have great experience

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt Inter:

By the Power of Greyskull, that is bloody expensive!

I can buy a case of shotshells for 30 quid.

All state forest, federal forest and most county (kries) forest in Germany require non-lead bullets.

Not sure if this was an environmentalist issue or done so RUAG could sell more bleifrei (lead free) ammo.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt Inter:

By the Power of Greyskull, that is bloody expensive!

I can buy a case of shotshells for 30 quid.

All state forest, federal forest and most county (kries) forest in Germany require non-lead bullets.

Not sure if this was an environmentalist issue or done so RUAG could sell more bleifrei (lead free) ammo.

We pay on average for 28 g clay loads £220/1000, pigeon 30g 6 £250/1000, 32g premium game loads £400/1000 and steel 32g £280/1000

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bismuth waterfowl is $1400 for a 1000

1000 Federal target loads are $265
8 shot 1 1\8th

1000 Cheap steel target dove loads are $300

1000 high end game loads with copper plated lead shot are $700

1000 Cheap steel 4 shot duck/pheasant $724

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was way off, maybe 4 or 5 per box is about as cheap as I can find.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is an anti hunting anti firearm ownership issue.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I was way off, maybe 4 or 5 per box is about as cheap as I can find.

I bought a lot on close out at wal-mart for 3 bucks a box for cheap field loads

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I read, the big shoots can't sell their birds to the European market when shot with lead. The BASC wants to phase out lead to allow the shot birds to go to the markets. They also want to get rid of plastic wads. If they can't sell birds to the Europeans, then there will be a lot of waste and won't go over well with the non-shooting public.

Ken

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot pheasants are close to worthless - can't remember what it was last season but on our shoot we just don't bother - they are taken by guns or given away. A few years back the dealers were charging to dispose of them! This led to a lot going in holes in the ground on big number shoots taking tens of thousands of birds with the subsequent venal publicity when this (inevitably) leaked out.

I'm not really sure how many birds (pheasant, partridge, grouse) are actually exported but I have a feeling its not too many.

With venison its slightly different - 95%+ of roe and (best guess) 80% of red venison goes to Europe - mostly Germany and for this we get a good price - £2.50/kilo or so for roe - though this tends to vary a great deal. Quite what the EU requirement for "lead free" venison will mean for this is currently moot but my guess is that anyone selling venison is going to have to use lead free bullets anyway - whether or not legislated for.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote