Find
Notify
Tools

Question - Romania
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
What temperatures can one expect in mid September while on stand for Red Stag and boar? Thinking about gear for this trip!

Also is Romania fairly traditional in the way hunters dress there?

Thanks all!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7512 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can dress what you want!
In most of the times i was there in the rut, it was after summer.
On day time it was nice temperature, in morning and evening you will probely need a fleece jacket?
It can also rain in that period!

Posts: 68 | Location: Holland(Netherlands) | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
Not too long ago, on one of the internet Vampire boards, someone was hawking tickets for a "boar hunt" in the Transylvania region, which was to be followed by a full guided tour (plus dinner & drinks) at Castle Dracula!

Supposedly hot Rumania gals, dressed up as the resident Vamp chicks, would be serving said dinner & beverages at the Castle's main dining table. tu2

As the legends have it, Vamp chicks know how to suck especially well, ... which, ya know, works just fine for me. Wink Though in reality, much likely depends on the size of the tip. popcorn

What a poser! Supposed expert from Alaska to Australia, talking about a "Vampire" chat room. What grade are you in?

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
These boards have really deteriorated! What a weird post... guessing (hoping) he deleted it.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7512 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted a few times in Romania at exactly the same time and will do so this year. The weather varies so you should be prepared for a wide range. It will not be too cold but you should be prepared to spent some time waiting but also you might do some demanding walking. Take some merino underwear, some wool shirts and a waterproof jacket. If you throw in a down vest or similar you should be perfect. If it is more a stalking hubt then the equipment should not be too noisy. I always take gaitors because it is very often quite muddy.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be much like Fall weather here Russell. But take some warm gear in case.

Have a good time.

Cheers,

Arjun

Posts: 2532 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
What temperatures can one expect in mid September while on stand for Red Stag and boar? Thinking about gear for this trip!

Also is Romania fairly traditional in the way hunters dress there?

Thanks all!

Don’t skip on gear. I did last year. Hunt worked out but I got really sick later with the flue. I decided to travel before and after to turkey, Hungary and Portugal.

Have a really good rain jacket and rain gear. Thermal gear light to mid base. Good boots and socks. It was pretty wet and much cooler than I expected.

Good county and people.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yep Jay and I are doing the same hunt with WTA you did last year Mike... any other tips on places to see or do, food/drink to try, hunting quirks?

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Yep Jay and I are doing the same hunt with WTA you did last year Mike... any other tips on places to see or do, food/drink to try, hunting quirks?

Make sure you hunt before the rut and into the rut. It flips 180 degrees after that - you hear them but don’t see them.

I did not prepare for the hunt. I tried to tie it into a European trip. Bad idea when all my inter Europe trips were with 15 kg weight limits. I screwed up and went light on gear.

Fly Lufthansa where you can carry gear.

The locals guns are not bad - European hunt good optics and rifles.

Shoes should be good and waterproof - lowa would be my choice. I took dual use Merrill Moab and they were wet everyday. If possible take like muck boots as spares.

Good quality socks.

A good rain jacket - with a hood. I had a very good quality Blaser baseball hat but I got drenched.

I would take light to medium base layer stuff. I bought one in Budapest and it saved me.

Quality hunting jacket - I had a Stika that helped a lot. But you need to tie into rain jacket. Good pants that are water resistant - I think I may have hunted a few days in a jeans - again soaked.

A pocket Swarovski bino would be good too.

I would do some sight seeing - the salt mines and Dracula castle are great one day trips.

The gun store in Clug is good.

The food is very good. People are friendly.
I found Romanians to be much more open and friendly than Hungarians. Hungarians where a little French in that if they spoke English they still acted like they did not. The food was very good in Romania.

There will be some quirks like getting up at 4 am and going to hunt club office and then waiting for 1 hr plus and then hunting. But the cultural experience is very interesting.

Marius is a fun guy and if you can hunt with him it would be cool. George too. I would definitely do the 1-2 days of tourism stuff and I never go for tourism stuff.

Hunt wild boar for sure. Either high seat or if Marius can arrange a drive / beat hunt.

Don’t be too picky on trophy - this is wild red deer - don’t comp it to New Zealand farm stuff.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of huntromania
posted Hide Post
First of all you need waterproof and silent equipment. Red stag hunting in Romania is based in most of the areas on stalking. Even is not raining, in the morning is wet, if you don’t wear waterproof equipment will be a problem. I recommend gaiters for protections. Every piece of your equipment must be waterproof and silent proof.
-1 pair of hunting boots ( gore tex and if possible with rubber protection)
-2 pairs of hunting pants ( gore tex for morning or raining) and one can be without gore tex for evening hunt.
-1 jacket ( gore tex)not very heavy.
- t-shirts but not cotton if you are stalking, bring something not to sweat.
- 1,2 fleece jackets.
- good bino ( 10x42 is perfect) but not to heavy.
-head lamp
- small knife
Bring quality clothing otherwise will be hard to find 24 hours laundry or other things. ( depending on the area)
- insects repellent
In the highest mountains the temperature in the early morning can be around 0-10 degrees Celsius, evening arround 18-25 degrees Celsius.
In the plains and small hills morning is around 5-15 degrees Celsius and afternoon over 20 degrees Celsius.

Ing. MARIUS VICTOR MERUȚIU
Owner
HUNTROMANIA
contact@huntromania.com
Cell phone +40745280573

Posts: 286 | Location: Romania | Registered: 26 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the above is correct. Average day temps in the high 60s if dry and into the low 50s if wet. I have hunted this time in Romania a couple times. Stunning scenery.

Light clothing in layers and good boots. Gaiters and a rain jacket are good if not in wool or top synthetics. Good boots are a must as it will probably be muddy regardless. Drab colors. Camo not required.

The food, the wine and the palinca are fantastic. The people are warm and friendly.

I have not one negative thing to say. Have a great time!

Posts: 160 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys!

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Watch out for Count Dracula! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Watch out for Count Dracula! rotflmo

Careful!

Politically-correct & humorless folks like RCG will accuse you of being 'culturally insensitive' to our Carpathian Mountain brothers.

That said, I thought the advertised boar-hunt and dinner afterward at Castle Dracula was quite an attractive deal. The long wooden dining table there is said to be an original 13th Century piece, but remarkably free of cobwebs and blood stains.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of Flys
Buy some Autan

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I always wear Kennetrek boots as they will withstand any conditions in Europe from Fall to winter
Love those wool coats down your ankles - warm quiet
Wild stags and boars are priceless experience

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
Lots of Flys. Buy some Autan

Well, "lots of flys" typically indicates the presence one or more dead bodies occasioned by a vampire attack the previous night. Eeker barf

Not to worry. It's a common occurrence in the Carpathian range. A major dose of bug spray is indicated. And also a necklace made of garlic cloves for the vamps. tu2

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haverluk:
All of the above is correct. Average day temps in the high 60s if dry and into the low 50s if wet. I have hunted this time in Romania a couple times. Stunning scenery.

Light clothing in layers and good boots. Gaiters and a rain jacket are good if not in wool or top synthetics. Good boots are a must as it will probably be muddy regardless. Drab colors. Camo not required.

The food, the wine and the palinca are fantastic. The people are warm and friendly.

I have not one negative thing to say. Have a great time!

+1 on the Palinca. you will find nothing like it anywhere else on earth. The people are GREAT. You will very much enjoy Romania.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Had a great hunt with HuntRomania and our guide/driver Alex. Took a nice stag, pigs and added two nice roebuck by day 4. Day 5 we headed back and explored Cluj, trip to the Salt Mines and good food and drink. A very enjoyable hunt at a fair price!

The beer and wine was great! Palinca, wow that stuff was jet fuel! Smiler

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Sounds great. Glad it all went smoothly.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Turkish Air flights went without a hitch as well.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote