New
Find
Notify
Tools

Privi Partisan 7X57???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With the cost of ammo rising extreamly, I notice that Privi Partisan is still reasonable but, I have no experience with it. I'm asking of the European Hunters their experiences, specifically with 139 grain loads, with accuracy and performance on game. This load looks to have a round nose bullet, which doesn't bother me in the least because I hunt thick forest and my shots are at 30 to 130 yards. The typical deer here weigh 100-140 pounds. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I am not European, although Louisiana might seem foreign, but I am a big fan of the 7x57 cartridge. I used the Privi loads one season and found them to be excellent cartridges. The velocity is generally better that most US loaded 7x57's. Accuracy was good at about 1" @ 100yds, and bullet performance on the few deer I had the opporunity to shoot was very good. I did not continue to use the Privi because Norma shoots better in most of my 7x57's. I finally got a source for the Norma at Black Hills Shooters Supply but they are still nearly twice the cost of Privi and S&B. Take a look at S&B as an option also, while inexpensive the 173 gr load shoots well in most military twist rifles and the "wadcutter" shaped bullet makes a clean entry hole and is devestating on whitetail.

Jeff

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed a number of deer here in Virginia, USA with the Privi 173 and a spanish mauser in 7x57. No theatrics. Deer just get sleepy and lay down.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Louisiana, the last feudal state. God love 'em.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't used the 7X57, but I have had a really bad experience with prvi partizan .30-06 regarding barrel-fouling. I wrote about it in a recent post:
the best of cheap ammos

Posts: 94 | Location: North-Eastern Europe, Estonia | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the replies.

jawheeler, I too, have been a fan of the 7X57 for almost a quarter century but, I never thought I'd receive a reply from someone right here in Loose-e-anah! Smiler Born, brought up, and will probably die right here.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi joe
I have not used privi-partisan in 7X57 but i have used it in .308 in 180 grain soft points and the shoot very well in my rifle .I have heard good reports about there 22-250 ammo as well and i am also going to try there .22 Hornet rounds as for cost 100 .308 rounds were £37.00 and 100 .22 Hornet 45grs are £26.00 which is good value for money here in the UK.

Posts: 37 | Location: Cumbria, England | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do be a bit careful, privi has been known to produce some spectacular pressures in some rifles,

I bought a 20 rnd pack for my Sako 22 Hornet, I shot 3 rounds, all cases stuck, pulled the rest of the rounds to see what was going on,

Powder was like a fine grain, I seriuosly question it´s origin and use, second the loads varied with up to .5 grains in a 22 hornet!!!

I am not saying dont use it, just take care.
/Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Reiver:
Hi joe
I have not used privi-partisan in 7X57 but i have used it in .308 in 180 grain soft points and the shoot very well in my rifle .I have heard good reports about there 22-250 ammo as well and i am also going to try there .22 Hornet rounds as for cost 100 .308 rounds were £37.00 and 100 .22 Hornet 45grs are £26.00 which is good value for money here in the UK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Privi in 7x57?
I've had spectacular bullet failure on game, deer and pig, They won't be loaded into my 7x57 again. thumbdown

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
Privi in 7x57?
I've had spectacular bullet failure on game, deer and pig, They won't be loaded into my 7x57 again. thumbdown

Thanks for the responce. Would you elaborate on the failures?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With lighter than 173grains, I think they were 139 or 140 weight. On both game penetration was shallow, there was complete core separation with shards of copper and lead mixed in blood shot wounds.
The privi are ok for paper punching, infact they were as accurate as any factory ammo used,and I've used them in 6.5x55, 7x57 and 30-06 all producing tight groups on targets, but that's as far as they go for me. There is better and certainly more reliable, though more expensive, ammunition to be had for use on game. As the old adage has it, you get what you pay for.
I've just remembered, the barrel fouling with Privi is terrible

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been over 30 years since I've used factory loads on game but, was looking for alternatives since 7X57 is 163% more expensive than .30'06.
I found what I thought was a deal and purchased some Privi Partisan for the price of what Remington empty brass costs but, haven't had a chance to shoot any. Glad to hear they seem to be accurate because I can shoot them up at the range for pratice, reload using my choice of bullets, and still come out ahead. clap Thanks all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watch those reloads, the brass tends to be brittle as well.

I did what all men should do?! I bought a ton of Norma instead and just keep reloading them.

That would be x57R cases though

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dean:
It's been over 30 years since I've used factory loads on game but, was looking for alternatives since 7X57 is 163% more expensive than .30'06.
I found what I thought was a deal and purchased some Privi Partisan for the price of what Remington empty brass costs but, haven't had a chance to shoot any. Glad to hear they seem to be accurate because I can shoot them up at the range for pratice, reload using my choice of bullets, and still come out ahead. clap Thanks all.