New
Find
Notify
Tools
Complaint!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
some very interesting replies,but the people who have complained should be re educated in the perforance of the modern firearm scope and ammo,more and more people are gettinmg into the accuarcy stakes IE custom rifles,drop charts ect ect laser range finders ect all items to help the shooter,gone are the days of you must hit a 4 inch kill zone at 100 yards,its a sahme peope like BASC and the Huberts clubs do not accept this,thing change and the organizations and clubs should accept this,If someone has the kit and abilty to take a 300 yatrd shot which providing the conditions and the rest is suitable,whats the problem ?? athe the end of the day people call it "sniping" I call long shots skillfull just like getting in close all require practice,nothing wrong with either method but dont knock others who like to do something that the text books regard as a no no

Posts: 103 | Location: England | Registered: 13 October 2004
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Bye the Bye, I was also the person who received all the radio traffic between our party, & sent all the replies to said complainant, so I am well placed to repeat Verbatim that which transpired! I wonder what sort of performance criteria these people might work within when witnessing stalks? I think it's about time somebody came out of the woodwork to speak up for themselves, On Arran, radios/mobiles/etc; are safety equipment, & should be treated as such, not for the amusement of childish minds, I, as a licenced marine radio user/op would suffer prosecution for misleading/ untruthful sendings.

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, at the end of the Day it's kinda like one of Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry utterances (can't remember which film, though) "A Man's gotta know his Limitations".

Some men know their limitations, a few Push-the-Envelope and many others not.....those that don't either aren't enabled or figure eveyone else in the World should abide by their Weakest Link in the Chain Theory.

A shot should be taken with enough confidence to ensure it's a telling one - can be close or far AFAIC; like the Germans say at their Safety Breifings on Drive Hunts - "Every Hunter is responsible for his own Shot."

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Foxshooter:
gone are the days of you must hit a 4 inch kill zone at 100 yards,its a sahme peope like BASC and the Huberts clubs do not accept this,thing change and the organizations and clubs should accept this,

Foxshooter.

You make a fair point - however, the training organizations are dealing with NEW shooters. Accordingly, to maximise the chances of a clean kill, the recommendation for a short range and chest shot.

Once you have the experience, then it's fair to consider stretching yourself to take advantage of the performance of your equipment, if the conditions require.

Sugesting that to a newbie shooter? I think it is not the way the organizations will be headed!

Rgds Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001