THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    From field to table in Portugal, photos up.

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From field to table in Portugal, photos up.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recently returned from Portugal after participating in two driven hunts (Monterias) in Mertola and Ladorieo, then taking some of the game to cooking classes in Evora. Was a great trip that The wife enjoyed as much as I did, if not more. Am being encouraged to do it again! Hunting was arranged by Edgar Cordeiro. Can be contacted through Athinasporting (Fallow buck) here on Ar, and the cooking classes were with Sofia Viera in Evora, portuguesecookingschool. Was busy having fun and did not take as many photos as I wish, but here are a few, and will post some later of site seeing as I get them organized. With out a doubt, one of the most enjoyable trips I have had.

Posts: 1068 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a few tourist photos

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil, Looks very nice.

If the wine tasted anywhere as goood as the cooking looks, super, I'm sure if Kiri had anything to do with it - was probably superb.

A coupla queries, the Albino?

Nice porkers, nothing in the mega toofer class but certainly a respectable size.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
I booked my first couple hunts there with Kiri, but do it myself now as I go there at least once a year. Also, I try to set thing up around direct flights from the states to Lisbon ( which are not daily), and have a bit of a flexible schedule while there. Monterias were in large areas, so I am sure some big old boars managed to get behind the dogs and beaters. first white fallow I have seen there, not sure albino or just a genetic color phase.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report

My friend just bought a place in Lisbon and has been trying to get me there and to get real estate in Portugal.

After this report I need to go.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My friend just bought a place in Lisbon and has been trying to get me there and to get real estate in Portugal.

I'll buy the ticket...one-way, or course :-)

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
excellent- loved the pics.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

I'll buy the ticket...one-way, or course :-)

First class emirates - done - I will find my way back home.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of huntromania
posted Hide Post
Well done Eric. It looks like the wild boar driven hunt fever infected you while in Romania. Keep doing that!
Cool

Ing. MARIUS VICTOR MERUȚIU
Owner
HUNTROMANIA
contact@huntromania.com
Cell phone +40745280573

Posts: 286 | Location: Romania | Registered: 26 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntromania:
Well done Eric. It looks like the wild boar driven hunt fever infected you while in Romania. Keep doing that!
Cool
Yes it did, and I'm still hoping to see you next winter!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice!! nearby my home tome of Olivenza. Love that area.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a colour phase - fallow come in many varieties between black (menil) and white - not a true albino (a quick look at the eyes should have confirmed?) - with many spotty shades in between.
quote:
quote:
I booked my first couple hunts there with Kiri, but do it myself now as I go there at least once a year. Also, I try to set thing up around direct flights from the states to Lisbon ( which are not daily), and have a bit of a flexible schedule while there. Monterias were in large areas, so I am sure some big old boars managed to get behind the dogs and beaters. first white fallow I have seen there, not sure albino or just a genetic color phase.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Great report

Mike

Your friend is right.

Property prices AND the hunting & fishing are fantastic here in Portugal but don't believe the tourist board for a moment........ They'll have you believe there's nothing more to the country than the coastal zones but in truth, the central & northern zones are phenomenal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Great report

Mike

Your friend is right.

Property prices AND the hunting & fishing are fantastic here in Portugal but don't believe the tourist board for a moment........ They'll have you believe there's nothing more to the country than the coastal zones but in truth, the central & northern zones are phenomenal.

What do you recommend (real estate area wise) for someone interested in hunting and fishing ?

Thanks

Mike

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:

What do you recommend (real estate area wise) for someone interested in hunting and fishing ?

Thanks

Mike

I think it really depends how you want to prioritise things but in our case, we chose to be as close to as many different hunting & fishing venues of all kinds so moved close to the town of Figueiro Dos Vinhos in the central zone & in the Zezere Valley. - Our home is a small quinta/farm that overlooks a village on one side & has forest on the other 3 sides.

Here, we have deer & wild boar aplenty...... and sometimes get both in the garden. We also have several trout streams within about 15 minutes & Lake Cabril (which is actually a dammed river) that holds a wide variety of carp, trout, bass & barbel etc about 20 minutes away& we're only about an hour from the coast where we have good sea fishing including for shark & marlin. We're also just over an hour away from the Castelo Branco area where Eric hunted & that area has shedloads of game, especially deer, wild boar, ducks & partridges.

As for house prices themselves, that obviously depends on what you want & where but in my part of the central zone a small place in need of new kitchen & better heating etc can be had for about €50k & €150k would buy you a very comfortable house in an edge of village location with a bit of land.

If you prefer a place in town, a 4 bedroom detached house with good aircon etc can be had for less than €200k

Portugal is only a small country but it varies immensely every few miles so you've got plenty of choice. Smiler

If you want to see what our area is like just click on the link to the guest apartment in my signature, then click 'About Central Portugal' & watch the videos for each area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari, I see that Portugal is rather gun friendly compared to many other european states....but how is it to live there with a foreign passport and keep guns..?

Can you bring your guns with you on a temporary license..?

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
Shakari, I see that Portugal is rather gun friendly compared to many other european states....but how is it to live there with a foreign passport and keep guns..?

Can you bring your guns with you on a temporary license..?

Complicated but not impossible and a lot depends on what passport you have & your residential status.

For example, if someone has a UK passport, they can then get a UK firearms certificate (if they fit the criteria) & then convert that into a European Firearms Pass which allows you to keep firearms here........ Alternatively, you can get a Portuguese licence of some sort but they come in a variety of 'flavours' some of which allow you to keep & use firearms & ammo at one end of the scale & at the other keep but not use a firearm and not keep ammo...... Alternatively, depending on situation, you might be able to borrow one.

The country is like all Euro countries in that it's bureaucracy mad but t's not too difficult to go on a hunting trip one way or another & if someone from overseas want to come here on a hunting trip Edgar Cordeiro can handle the firearms import & licencing etc without any problems at all & the hunting here is very good indeed. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I hold an European Firearms Pass so that should do the trick... tu2

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
Thank you, I hold an European Firearms Pass so that should do the trick... tu2

With a Euro pass it's no problem at all. Smiler