THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Stalker Research worth a read and some thought

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stalker Research worth a read and some thought
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.plosone.org/search/simple? from=globalSimpleSearch&filterJournals=PLoSONE&query=journal.pone.0109698&x=0&y=0

Abstract:
The amount of wounding during routine culling is an important factor in the welfare of wild deer. Little information exists on factors determining shooting accuracy and wounding rates under field conditions in the UK. In this study, 102 anonymous stalkers collected data on the outcomes and circumstances of 2281 shots. Using hot-deck imputation and generalised linear mixed modelling, we related the probability that a shot hit its target, and the probability that the shot killed the deer if it was hit, to 28 variables describing the circumstances of the shot. Overall, 96% of deer were hit, of which 93% were killed outright. A reduced probability of hitting the target was associated with an uncomfortable firing position, too little time available, shooting off elbows or freehand, taking the head or upper neck as point of aim, a heavily obscured target, a distant target, shooting at females, lack of shooting practice and a basic (or no) stalker qualification. An increase in the likelihood of wounding was associated with an uncomfortable firing position, shooting with insufficient time, a distant target (only when time was not sufficient), a bullet weight below 75 grains, a target concealed in thicket or on the move and an area rarely stalked. To maximise stalking success and deer welfare, we recommend that stalkers ensure a comfortable firing position, use a gun rest, aim at the chest, use bullets heavier than 75 grains, avoid taking a rushed shot, shoot a distant animal only if there is plenty of time, fire only when the target is stationary, avoid shooting at an obscured animal, take care when the ground is unfamiliar, and do shooting practice at least once a month. The high miss rate of basic-level stalkers suggests that training should include additional firing practice under realistic shooting conditions.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 574 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes its a good study. Practice and a good rest for the rifle seems to be posible to improve. The low killing rate for light bullets is maybee the use of varmint bullets. In scandinavia 50gr bullets are allowed for roe deer and they work well then they are designed for what job.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting report, and agreed that most issues come from inexperience, and bullet failure.

I think in Scandinavia there is a lot more small game (non vermin) hunting with the 22 CF calibers than we have in the uk. There may be a more suitable choice of ammunition for light weight deer use. Most light weight bullets sold in the uk are designed for use on foxes/vermin and I really don't think they are suitable for deer stalking especially for the bigger species.

I'm always surprised when I have people tell me that a 22-250 is perfect for Sika and Reds.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
To think of a few suitable heads in 22cf there's Sierra Game King,Norma Oryx,Nosler Partition.
The 22-250 was all we were allowed here for a long time. It doesn't recoil much and is inherently an accurate round. Shot plenty of Sika and Fallow with it
I can't speak for it on reds as I have never shot a red in this country.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the bigger species we have the same cartridge limit as for moose and bear 154gr bullet 2000j. I think we should have a in between limit for fallow deer, seal, wolf as finland has 100gr bullet 2000j.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Here in US, we have problem of too many hunters take too long of a shots
Ever since all these magnums cartridges.
No one seems to wanna try to get close.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote